UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado Simulator 2014.2 won't trace variables

Jump to solution

I have seen the thread describing this functionality: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Tracing-vhdl-variables/m-p/430530/highlight/true#M9268

But when I run the simulator no variables show up in my objects window. Do I have to turn something on in the GUI or is this functionality broken in 2014.2?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Vivado Simulator 2014.2 won't trace variables

Jump to solution

Found the problem.....that sucks.

vhdl_variables.bmp
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have simulated an example design with Vivado 2014.2 and able to see that variables are correctly added in the objects window. Please check the below snapshot for your reference.

Capture.PNG

The snapshot shows that the functionality is not broken with vivado 2014.2.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Did you launch the simulator from within Vivado GUI?

Ensure the --debug option in Simulation Settings is not turned off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

The --debug option was set to typical... I changed it to all but it still doesn't work. My testbench is running correctly but I cannot see any variables in the Objects window. I would show you a screen shot but there is nothing to see. Maybe this is fixed in your software but it is not in mine.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Yes, I am running this out of the GUI in Vivado.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

So, I selected --rangecheck to ON in the simulator options and when I select "Run Simulation" a quick window pops up and then goes away and my sim will never work again. Tried restarting Vivado AND rebooting my PC and it looks like my Vivado 2014.2 project is never going to work again, so.......

I de-selected --rangecheck and shutdown Vivado 2014.2. I then opened up Vivado 2014.1 and opened the project, saved as another project to make it writeable and the sim works again. 

Finally, in the Objects window I selected the "VHDL Process" clicky (by default this is off) and viola, my variables appeared in the Objects window and now I can add them to my waveform viewer. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

So.....I assumed I was good until this point but there are still problems. When I try to add my variables I get an error. My test case was taking a "signal" and making it a "variable" and this was the result (any thoughts?)

v_variable_err.bmp
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Found the problem.....that sucks.

vhdl_variables.bmp
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Back to my original post.....the functionality IS broken, or was never fixed in the first place.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
The support for tracing of VHDL variables is in roadmap for Vivado.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Good to hear, do you have an ETA on that? XSIM so far has been great except for a few minor issues that Xilinx is addressing based on some forum posts. Would like it to be the mainstream simulator for my Xilinx behavioral models. Ultimately I would like to do top level simulations of Virtex 7 type designs but I will be happy with fully supported behavioral sims of small size for now :)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Has this issue been adressed yet? 2014.4 came out this week but I haven't checked it yet for this feature...

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Would still REALLY like to have this functionality. VSIM is ALMOST ready to be used for prime time Xilinx simulator. Has this been done in Vivado 2015.1? @graces @debrajr @ashishd?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,
Not yet.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63628.html
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@vijayak

Each year this question comes up at some point.....any word on this? Is it fixed?

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

any news on Vivado supporting variables in the simulator?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

In the mean time if you need to trace variables, altera/intel provide a free version of modelsim that supports mixed language. And the newer versions can also trace access types (pointers) on the wave window too!

0 Kudos
Visitor enzeve809687
Visitor

Jump to solution

While I know this is an old thread I want to leave a tip for others.

Recently I also couldn't find how to view variables (in Vivado 2018.3) in simulation. It turns out that you have to enable "VHDL Process" in the scope (by default this is off). See screenshot below.

ProcessVariables_in_Vivado_Simulation_overlay.png

0 Kudos