cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billhunter
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado Waveform Viewer crashes

I am having a lot of issues with the Vivado waveform viewer and simulator. Theese problems occured on 2013 and new 2014.2 versions of tools. They also occured on a VMware windows environment on my MAC, and on a brand new HP windows box. Both are Win7-64.

1. Sometimes It hangs while compiling the simulation. The progress bar freezes, all Xilinx windows are unresponsive. Killing the Vivado in Task Manager closes all Xilinx windows. Machine will hang again when run unless the machine is rebooted.

2. While running a resonably long simulation with SLVs displayed as analog waveforms, about 100us into the simulation, the previously recorded and displayed waveforms are suddenly corrupted. The displayed values change and if I examine the actual data by zooming in, the recorded values are corrupted as well. I can see a nice sine like wave from 0 to about 100us, then suddenly some random section between 50 and 100us gets changed into random noise. This happens when the sim's time is in the range of 120 to 200 us, far past the area that is being currupted.

3. While running the simulation, the entire Vivado suite randomly closes down. I assume it hit an internal fatal error.

The 3 problems together mean that I get a successful sim run about every 3rd try, which is killing my productivity. I am assuming that others are not seeing these problems (or there would be a lot more activity on this board).

I really have no idea about how to address these problems. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can investigate these issues. None of the problems are consistant, so I am guessing that opening a support case is going to be a real bear, with the usual "reboot", "try reinstalling", "try a different computer", etc. I would like to know if there are any log files or such I might use to narrow down the problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
athandr
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Whats the RAM of your machine. Please check the Memory utilizqation when this crash or corrupt data occurs. Check this link for the memorhy requirements - http://www.xilinx.com/design-tools/vivado/memory.htm

Please attach your design files/test case so that we can reproduce it at our end. 

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
billhunter
Adventurer
Adventurer

On the virtual machine I had about 12GB ram, on the true windows PC, I only have 8GB ram. I am targeting the Kintex-7 KC705 Evaluation Platform (xc7k325tffg900-2) which according to the link is enough. I noticed that the link was really referring to synthesis and implementation and not simulation, but I guess the sim would require about the same. I am working on bumping the PC up to 16GB to see if it helps.

I can't really share my files. In cases like these, I have to create a separate project with a neutered test case that recreates the problem. This takes time, but the effort is started.

Also, given the intermittent nature of the problem, I am not sure if it will be reproducible. It still would be useful information to know whether it causes crashes on other systems, or if it particular to my two hardware platforms.

I am also working on changing my design around to see if there is anything unique about this design that could cause the problem. The simulation contains a larger number of real signals than is typical, and there is a 13 tap FIR filter that uses real signals. There is also a real signal created from adding several transport-delay real signals. These are the only things that might look at all atypical, and might be triggering faults in my code that other designs don't see.

0 Kudos
debrajr

When you add less signals to the waveform window, would it not crash? and are you using the Analog view which may cause a crash?
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
billhunter
Adventurer
Adventurer

"When you add less signals to the waveform window, would it not crash? and are you using the Analog view which may cause a crash?"

Yes, I am using the analog view quite a bit. It does corrolate somewhat to the number of signals displayed.

Is this a problem with the viewer?

I will experiment further with this, but I have noticed it seems less likely to fail if the analogs are grouped and the group is not expanded (not displayed) while the sim is in the RUN state.

0 Kudos
debrajr

Would you please provide your testcase and steps which can be followed to recreate the crash? We would be interested in investigating it further.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
petertx
Visitor
Visitor

I've also been experiencing this exact issue, and it's nature to me is intermittent and random. I haven't been able to figure out what is provoking it and nothing I've done has fixed it.

I just went so far as to reinstall Vivado 2014.2 SE, hope that does it.

I hope this issue gets more attention so we can keep our design flow intact. It's really killing productivity.

0 Kudos
mathewgeorge
Visitor
Visitor

I have same isue with 2014.2.  Just setup a simulation project (for ZYNQ) and when I run it, first time around got a pop-up saying out of memory.  My PC configuration, Win 7, 64-bit, has 8G RAM.  Re-ran and this time I monitored Task Manager and sure enought the Memory usage spikes all the way up to 8G !   Not good ! 

How much memory do I really need?

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

I have opened several cases against vivado waveform viewing which haven't been produced. Finally I found one case which was very reproducible and even the AE which got the case was able to repro but dev closed it not repro. Apparently in 2014.3, the waveform database format has been changed and my case didn't repro with it. As 2014.3 has just become available, we'll see if it actually got fixed.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos