cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vivado modelsim "-scripts_only" option from Vivado "-mode tcl" exports "simulate.sh" with the "-c" options (i.e. vsim in command line mode)

Hi All,

as per the title. I'm building my FPGA binaries in Vivado "-mode tcl". It seems Vivado, in this mode, assumes I would want to export my simulation with the command line flag (not a bad assumption!). 

I however want to override this, as I'm using "launch_simulation -step compile" and "launch_simulation -scripts_only", as such, I'm not actually 'running' the simulation and I want my exported "simulate.sh" NOT to have the -c option (as I have to edit it each time).

Is there anyway to hardcode the modelsim config in Vivado via a TCL command to not force it into command line mode when Vivado is in TCL mode?

Thanks in advance,

James

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Vivado modelsim "-scripts_only" option from Vivado "-mode tcl" exports "simulate.sh" with the "-c" options (i.e. vsim in command line mode)

Hi @Anonymous 

When using Launch_Simulation there are options available which can be seen in the GUI which are Simulator specific.

You can see these if you change the Target SImulator in Simulation Settings, the modelsim.simulate.vsim_more_opt may be of use as it allows you to send switches to Modelsim

The -scripts_only option in Launch_Simulation has been deprecated and it is recommended to use the export_simulation command instead.

You can get further information on it by typing export_simulation -help in the tcl console.

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vivado modelsim "-scripts_only" option from Vivado "-mode tcl" exports "simulate.sh" with the "-c" options (i.e. vsim in command line mode)

Hi There,

yes I'm familiar with all the options, but this is entirely a Vivado thing. Vivado assumes (without any configurable option as far as I can tell, so there must be a hidden back end TCL entry point somewhere) that if you're running Vivado in TCL mode, that the user wants the "-c" option on their VSIM command. I can't use a custom VSIM option to remove the fact Vivado has added that to the command line. The "-c" option is what Vivado puts into the "simulate.sh", because it assumes the user is going to want to execute the simulation in "tcl mode", which is command line. For me, I'm just generating/compiling everything for Modelsim so it can be run post-mortem.

So in short, there appears to be no options for what I'm trying to do anywhere, but am happy for a backend TCL hook. My fear is there is none, and there is a static configuration in Vivado which sets the "-c" option in simulate.sh without configuration and rather is hard coded dependent on the Vivado mode. As such, I would like to request this become an option in future versions, so perhaps it would need to become an SR so we can track when it's adopted?

Regards,

James

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I think it's hard coded. Please take a look at UG900, pg47, section "Simulation Step Control Constructs for ModelSim and Questa".

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug900-vivado-logic-simulation.pdf

You may use parameter project.writeNativeScriptForUnifiedSimulation to switch to change compile and elaborate shell scripts. However, there's no change in simulation script.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply,

I'm happy with the compile/elaborate results, it's purely how do I get rid of the "-c" option which gets hard coded into the outputted simulate.sh script without a setting when running Vivado in TCL mode. I have to manually remove (or write a script to modify the script, which is ugly) to remove the -c option when I want to run my modelsim GUI simulation from the export. So definitely keen to get an SR to fix this up in future releases so I can remove my script to modify a script approach.

0 Kudos