UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado: $readmemh in IP cores can't find hex file in simulation, works in synthesis

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have an IP-XACT core (Verilog) that uses $redmemh to load a ROM image from a hex file. That hex file is not user configurable and just statically bundled with the IP-XACT core. I put the ROM file into the "xilinx_miscfiles_view_fileset" fileSet because this is what works in synthesis (putting the hex file in any other fileSet will result in the hex file not being found during synthesis):

ipx::add_file romdata.hex [ipx::add_file_group -type misc {} $ip]

However, in simulation it seems like the hex file is not found regardless in which fileSet I put it. The only way I managed to get simulation so far is to add an additional add_files call into the TCL script running the simulation:

add_files -fileset [current_fileset -simset] ip_myromtable/romdata.hex

But of course it is NOT a viable option to require the user of my IP to do this whenever they want to simulate a design that uses the IP.

I have created a minimal test case for the issue: http://svn.clifford.at/handicraft/2015/vivado_readmem_ip/

The TCL script vivado_make_ip.tcl creates the IP-XACT core. The script vivado_sim_ip.tcl runs simulation (produces a warning for the HEX file unless the additional add_files work-around is enabled), and vivado_synth_ip.tcl runs synthesis (works fine with the HEX file in the -type misc {} file group).

Unfortunately the documentation for creating IP cores is pretty sparse and the Vivado simulation documentation does not even mention $readmem[hb] afaics.

What is the recommended way of creating IP cores that load HEX files (that are bundled with the core) using $readmemh, so that it works with both Vivado implementation and simulation?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vivado: $readmemh in IP cores can't find hex file in simulation, works in synthesis

Jump to solution

After discussion with Xilinx support (SR#10325231): xsim needs the file to have the extension ".dat" or ".data" for this to work. Renaming the file fixed the issue.

1 Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vivado: $readmemh in IP cores can't find hex file in simulation, works in synthesis

Jump to solution

After discussion with Xilinx support (SR#10325231): xsim needs the file to have the extension ".dat" or ".data" for this to work. Renaming the file fixed the issue.