UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Vivado : vhdl design impliments fine, but simulator says error in line xxx

Jump to solution

error is

ERROR: Array sizes do not match, left array has 8 elements, right array has 6 elements

which is true, 

I made mistake and am assigning a 6 bit unsigned to a 8 bit unsigned 

US8 <= US6;

should vivado  implimentaoint not pick this up as an error

were not Verilog, were vhdl.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Vivado : vhdl design impliments fine, but simulator says error in line xxx

Jump to solution

other thing has come out of this

I have now found that one can use Notepad++ as the built in editor of Vivadi, 

once you have a project open, its under tools ->options -> general, 

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Yes, I agree, it should.  Which version of Vivado are you using?

***Many of us who help you are just FPGA enthusiasts, and not Xilinx employees. If you receive help, and give kudos (star), you're likely to continue receiving help in the future. If you get a solution, please mark it as a solution.***
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

should have said, yes latest version, 2015.2

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @drjohnsmith

I have tried mismatched assigment of two  signals of UNSIGNED data type.

synthesis is erroring out as expected. (shown below)
Capture.JPG

Can you please make  a test case in which  the mismatched assignment is is getting synthesized properly  and share it here.?

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Not easily 

I can send the archive to Xilinx, 

but no to an open forum,

the archive is 300 K 

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Ok, 

So I have just tried the archive of the code that kept failing yesterday, and today it pass's perfectly.

i.e. it finds the errors I'd expect.

so thats that,

BUT

it did happen, I showed it to others in the office,

Im just wondering, 

I use the GUI , am jumping in and out of simulatoin and implimentatoin manytimes per hour on the design,

and modifying the vhdl files out side the GUI using an external editor,  and files are on multiple machines.

I also oftern run sim and implimentation together. ( joys of a small design )

I have 'noticed' every 'now and then' the files dont get updated in Vivado GUI for several seconds after I have edited them, 

could it be that the testing you do is either on linux, using the in built editor in vivado, all on one machine ?

I'm just wondering if the system is working on files in its database / memory , not the ones I have edited a few seconds before . Does one have to wait n seconds after modifying a file before pressing the implimentatoin or sim buttons ?

Is there an equivilent of a <ctrl> <F5> one can press to force update , or is it best just to run from TCL.

thanks

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

other thing has come out of this

I have now found that one can use Notepad++ as the built in editor of Vivadi, 

once you have a project open, its under tools ->options -> general, 

View solution in original post

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

"I'm just wondering if the system is working on files in its database / memory, not the ones I have edited a few seconds before . Does one have to wait n seconds after modifying a file before pressing the implimentatoin or sim buttons ?"

Yes, there is a lag time.  You have to wait before Vivado will recognize the file has been modified.

And in the case of the simulation, if you modify a source file or testbench, you have to relaunch, not just reset the simulation.

And, as you indicated, you can configure vivado to use an external text editor.  Even ones that aren't listed.  I've been checking out Sublime, and also Sigasi, which is a nice editor for VHDL, but way too expensive (but probably worth it if you program advanced VHDL with packages and records).

***Many of us who help you are just FPGA enthusiasts, and not Xilinx employees. If you receive help, and give kudos (star), you're likely to continue receiving help in the future. If you get a solution, please mark it as a solution.***
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thanks Morgan,

Have to tell these youngsters the difference between re launching and re seting simulations is an interesting one,

esspecialy when vivado sim re coimpiles EVERY THING every time, not just that which has changed.

0 Kudos