UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado2018.2 xsimk has a memory leak problem in Win7

Hello all,

Please refer to my prev post: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/xsimk-makes-my-workstation-run-out-of-memory/m-p/906662#M24053

(env details are also mentioned there).

In the above post I had complained that xsimk in Viv2018.2 has a memory leak problem. Given below are the screenshots which show the increase in xsimk memory usage while using Viv2018.2 at increasing simulation intervals (usec).

xsimk_2018.2_21.2us.jpgxsimk_2018.2_62.7us.jpgxsimk_2018.2_102.7us.jpg

Support personnel from Xilinx just wanted to have the project (which is impossible to share because of NDA and its sheer huge size, some XY GB), no other help from them.

Others tried to understand the problem and some one told that there might be a problem in my testbench. Still others told that if I am running under Linux this problem might not be there. @drjohnsmith, @richardhead

My observations:

1. The testbench runs with ModelSim without any problems for days.

2. The next thing I did was to run my design with Vivado 2018.1. I found the same xsimk memory leak problem here too.

3. I then ran my design with Viv2017.4 and yes, here is a stable version of xsimk whose memory usage does not increase with increasing sim time.

xsimk_2017.4_28.5us.pngxsimk_2017.4_63.1us.pngxsimk_2017.4_102.9us.pngxsimk_2017.4_251.1us.png

Conclusion:

This again reiterates the fact that Xilinx is not testing their software products good enough before releasing them. I have lost engineering man-days to find out what the hell was wrong with my testbench. We do not need quarterly software releases,  one or two stable and bug-less Vivado release per year is good enough. Yes I know that Vivado Webpack is for free so Xilinx will not spend enough money on testing, but atleast do not introduce new bugs in the existing stable ones!

4 Replies
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Re: Vivado2018.2 xsimk has a memory leak problem in Win7

@gin_xil

I have NEVER known any software to have no bugs. And with EDA tools the usage combinations are so vast, that they cannot test every combination of code that ever user uses.

Xilinx cannot reproduce your problem without a test case. And so I do not really know what you want Xilinx to do without knowing what the problem is. "There is a memory leak" is a symptom of a bug - not a bug itself.

So yes, this does appear to be a bug in 2018.X, but without help from you - there will be nothing they can do.

While Vivado does tend to be one of the more buggy EDA tools, your latest post is mostly unhelpful.

Provide a test case, or move to another tool.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@richardhead,

I have NEVER known any software to have no bugs

I agree.

But their test department should be finding this problem.  How they are testing it, I don't know. Xilinx is a hugely renowned company and they should have test-cases to catch such  problems and expert engineers to debug them.

I have proved that xsimk in 2017.4 is stable than in 2018.x, it is their responsibility to fix them or atleast try to fix them. Why I can't provide a test-case, I have already mentioned.

Provide a test case, or move to another tool.have already mentioned twice.

Yes we will move to ModelSim soon.

In my previous post, "xsimk makes my workstation run out of memory", @xion_pecher, has already provided a test case but there was no response from Xilinx.

Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Well done on working on this,

I dont work for xilinx or any association,

BUT

I think one could draw the conclusion that vivado on windows some where get WELL broken, 

2018.2 could well go down as Xilinx's  "Annus Horribilis "

lets hope the "apparent"  delay in getting 2018.3 out, means that they have done some regression testing, fixed some problems, 

but more importantly put in place better procedures for the future.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@drjohnsmith,

lets hope the "apparent"  delay in getting 2018.3 out, means that they have done some regression testing, fixed some problems, but more importantly put in place better procedures for the future.

Hope.......... :-)