UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sneha22
Visitor

WARNING:Xst:2170

Jump to solution

HI,

I am getting this warning though I have not created too many case states .There are only 4 case statements.

WARNING:Xst:2170 - Unit RS232_TX : the following signal(s) form a combinatorial loop: next_state<3>.
WARNING:Xst:2170 - Unit RS232_TX : the following signal(s) form a combinatorial loop: next_state<2>.
WARNING:Xst:2170 - Unit RS232_TX : the following signal(s) form a combinatorial loop: next_state<1>.
WARNING:Xst:2170 - Unit RS232_TX : the following signal(s) form a combinatorial loop: next_state<0>.
What danger does it pose to the block of the code?
I dont know why i am getting this warning?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor awillen
Mentor

Re: WARNING:Xst:2170

Jump to solution

@bassman59 wrote:

@sneha22 wrote:
solved it..

And your solution was ... ??

...probably not to create a combinational loop.

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
7 Replies
Mentor awillen
Mentor

Jump to solution

The warnings you get have nothing to do with you having too many states (what makes you think that?). The real reason is that you did not use proper synchronous digital design techniques: your signal next_state is read and written to in a combinational circuit.

To see how a state machine has to be coded, open the Language Temples ==> Verilog/VHDL ==> Synthesis constructs ==> Coding examples ==> State machines.

Better yet, buy a book on your favorite HDL and read it thoroughly.

Adrian

If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
Visitor sneha22
Visitor

Jump to solution
solved it..
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@sneha22 wrote:
solved it..

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

Jump to solution

@bassman59 wrote:

@sneha22 wrote:
solved it..

...probably not to create a combinational loop.

Visitor sneha22
Visitor

Jump to solution
i was bymistake changing the state of the fsm outside the clk process..silly one ...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor melika
Visitor

Jump to solution

hello,
i have this warning in ISE 10.1, but it does not write any signals that form a combinatorial loop??!!
how i can find that signals?
thanks.

WARNING Xst :2170 :the following signal(s) form a combinatorial loop:warning.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Observer mrovin
Observer

Jump to solution

If you don't see the signal involved in the combinational loop, it is just because you are viewing the design summary window. But if you switch to console or warnings panes (at the bottom of the main window) you will see the same messages but with the list of involved signals. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos