Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

XSim 2019.1 crashes with arrays of -1 downto 0 signals

Hello,
I'm developing a core where arrays of STD_LOGIC_VECTOR are used.
Some SLV signals have parametric width, so when width=0 these arrays are composed of N elements of SLV(-1 downto 0).
When I try to simulate the core with XSIM, all works fine until I try to add these signals to the waveform window.

Screenshot_2020-02-07_10-01-25.png

On the picture above, if I drag and drop one of the arrays from left to right, XSIM and Vivado crashes and closes.

It seems there's a problem with null SLV, probably ranges are not checked on visualization.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

Andrea

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: XSim 2019.1 crashes with arrays of -1 downto 0 signals

Quick thought
you say -1 downto 0, is not 0 greater than -1, so should it be -1 to 0 ?
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@drjohnsmith 

No

a (-1 downto 0) array is a valid array size - a null (0 length) array. When you parameterise blocks with a width paramter (for example) you can set the WIDTH to 0 and if your declaration is

data : in std_logic_vector(WIDTH-1 downto 0);

Then (-1 downto 0) will result when WIDTH is set to 0 (ie. you want the interface removed).

As a side note, (-1 to 0) would be an illegal range for a std_logic_vector as slv is declared as having a natural range, where the smallest legal index is 0 (this is also the same for signed/unsigned). This is unless the range is a null range, when such indeces are allowed. The fixed_pkg allows -ve indeces to indicate the power of two the bit represents.

Xsim is not alone in crashing with null signals on the waveform. ActiveHDL also did this until a couple years ago.

@andpas.qas 

Also note, Synthesis also has problems with null arrays inside records

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/VHDL-Bug-Report-Vivado-Removes-non-null-port/m-p/850764

edit: This appears to finally be fixed in 2019.2! :)

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Hello,
thanks for noticing me about it.
I encountered indeed a similar problem with records a couple of weeks ago, where again -1:0 ranges have problems.
Maybe it has been fixed in 2019.2 as well... maybe it worths a try...

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/XSim-2019-1-bug-strange-behavior-crash-when-assigning-a-record/td-p/1069406

Anyway: Xilinx SHALL invest some time to fix these basic issues!!

Thanks
Andrea