UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie s10037913

Xilinx ISE 10.1 {Simulation pop up and disappear}

Hi Forum Users,

I had encountered a problem with the behavioral simulation, when i click on simulate behavioral model, the thing run, but the simulation tab pop up and disappear, i had tried uninstalling and reinstalling for 6 times, but the problem still there. i have also deleted the files after uninstalling. is there any problem which lead to this bug. I am using Windows Vista Business Edition 32-Bit OS. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Henry (Singapore)

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Visitor pribyla
Visitor

Re: Xilinx ISE 10.1 {Simulation pop up and disappear}

Do you have any simulator installed e.g. ModelSim XE? In project top level right mouse click and in project properties check what you have as a simulator.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Have you tried using one of the example designs to run a simulation on and if so does that work?

Do you have service pack 3 installed?

0 Kudos
Visitor chanjianming
Visitor

I am too experiencing the same problem...with service pack3 installed
0 Kudos
Visitor chanjianming
Visitor

just to provide more info...i have created a waveform test bench..but when i run the behaviour simulation, simulate behavioral model, console display all the compilation stuff then the simulation window pop up and closes within a sec....so what might be the problem... 
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I'm assuming since you are running on Vista you are attempting to run the ISE Simulator, not ModelSim XE.

Please make sure you have the latest ISE Service Pack installed (SP3).  You can do so by using "Help --> About" in ISE.  

It is possible that a code construct in your testbench or HDL is terminating the simulator abruptly ...In the "Simulate Behavioral Model" properties, can you disable "Run for Specified Time"?  This will launch the simulator without running the simulation.  Does the simulator window come up and stay open? If so, what happens if you run for, say, 100ns (via command "run 100 ns")?

Report back with the results so I can provide additional feedback.

Eddie
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Do any error messages appear in the console window?

For example, messages about "Access violation" (or "sigsegv" on Linux)?

There are a large number of possible causes for "access violation" errors in ISE

simulator; there are ways of working around most of them, if that is the problem.

0 Kudos
Visitor chanjianming
Visitor

hi, i disable the run for specific time...and still the problem exist...there is no error either...i do a compare with those install in my school and it run fine...

Running ISim simulation engine ...

This is a Lite version of ISE Simulator(ISim). after this i think, there is some sentence %circuit....but in mine...there isnt

just, okay there is but it appear for spilt second and disappear....just like the simulation window popup and disappear..

Running ISim simulation engine ...

This is a Lite version of ISE Simulator(ISim).  

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

chanjianming,

It may help running the simulation via command line.  The error which causes the ISim window to disappear could results in actual error messages in the simulator console (Tcl prompt).

To run the simulation command line, find the "fuse.log" file in the ISE project directory.  At the top of this text file, you'll find the command line used to launch fuse, the ISim compiler.  Run the fuse command as shown in the text file.

Following compilation, an executable file (<top_level_name>_beh.exe) will be created in the project directory.  Run the executable at the command line.  The ISim Tcl prompt (ISim>) will appear.  Run the simulation by typing run 1 ms.  Does the simulation run? 

If an error message does not help point to a particular issue in your code, consider opening a WebCase in order to have a Product Applications Engineer help you further with this issue.

Eddie
0 Kudos
Visitor chanjianming
Visitor

Nope it is hang there without the prompt....

I guess maybe i am using a different OS....window 7. Everthing is fine, installing checking of syntax except this simulation. I will try exporting my files to school and test...

Thanks for the help anyway 

0 Kudos

I tried running the ISIM from the command prompt as suggested here to solve another problem.

The ISIM ran, said it completed, then does nothing until I hit Enter at which point it displays the prompt again.

It updates the isimwavedata.xwv file, but if I view it in the ISE it is blank.

What are you supposed to do after running the ISIM from the command prompt?  Can you view the waveforms?  Errors?  Data?

0 Kudos

When I run the ISIM from within ISE, it creates isimwavedata.xwv which can be loaded later into ISE and the waveforms viewed.

If I run ISIM from the command line, it creates the file but when I load it no wave forms are displayed and the message "Current Simulation Time -1e-06 ns" is shown.

I am running the sim with the command "run 200 ns"

Why the blank file?

0 Kudos

Where is the manual which explains the isim commands when run from the command prompt?

I can only find info on running isim from within ISE.

0 Kudos

Some important tips for running ISIM from the command line!

To run from the command line, an earlier post suggested using the first line of fuse.log.  On Windows XP, the first four lines of fuse.log looks like:

Running : C:\XilinxF\10.1\ISE\bin\nt\unwrapped\fuse.exe -ise
C:/XilinxF/Capulin1/Capulin1.ise -intstyle ise -incremental -o
Main_Main_sch_tb_isim_par.exe -prj Main_Main_sch_tb_par.prj -top
Main_Main_sch_tb

ALL FOUR of these lines are the "first" line - CR's will have been inserted to limit the line length.

To run it, you have to delete the CR's and remove "Running:" so it looks like:

C:\XilinxF\10.1\ISE\bin\nt\unwrapped\fuse.exe -ise C:/XilinxF/Capulin1/Capulin1.ise -intstyle ise -incremental -o Main_Main_sch_tb_isim_par.exe -prj Main_Main_sch_tb_par.prj -top Main_Main_sch_tb

This is all one line, even though the forum editor wraps the last part.

To run this, open command prompt window and change to the project directory (MUST be done) and paste the above into the command prompt window and press Enter.

0 Kudos

Blundered on the solution to running sim from command line and viewing waveforms in ISE

Looking in the isim.log file after running the post route timing simulation, it can be seen that the ISE does quite a few tricks to get the waveforms saved:

(skip past this part for the rest of the message)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Command line:
   ./Main_Main_sch_tb_isim_par.exe
     -sdfmax  /UUT/=netgen/par/Main_timesim.sdf
     -sdfroot  /UUT
     -intstyle  ise
     -ipchost  localhost
     -ipcport  2079

Tue Feb 24 13:21:27 2009

Total Line Count : 206703

Elaboration Time: 7.48438 sec

Current Memory Usage: 466.01 Meg

Total Signals          : 109713
 Total Nets             : 69949
 Total Signal Drivers   : 69455
 Total Blocks           : 30971
 Total Primitive Blocks : 17538
 Total Processes        : 69372
 Total Traceable Variables  : 159552
 Total Scalar Nets and Variables : 1069124
INFO:Simulator:839 - SDF backannotation was successful with SDF file
   netgen/par/Main_timesim.sdf, for root module /UUT/.
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/iowr
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/adclk
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/UUT/U19_I_Q1/o
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/UUT/PBC1_syncWidth_10/ce
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/UUT/PBC1_syncWidth_10/clk
ntrace start
isimrun 500 ns
Simulator is doing circuit initialization process.
Finished circuit initialization process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since ISE keeps crashing on me right as it is about to display the waveforms, I have been working on using ISIM from the command line (I can't find the proper manual).

From the above, I gleaned the following script:

From the first lines of isim.log, I created and ran the following command in the project directory.  Note the removal of the preceding "./" and the trailing "-ipchost  localhost -ipcport  2079".

The port options caused an error and don't seem to be necessary.

Main_Main_sch_tb_isim_par.exe -sdfmax  /UUT/=netgen/par/Main_timesim.sdf -sdfroot  /UUT -intstyle  ise

At the "Sim>" prompt which results, enter the following (adjusted for your project) to record the waveforms for specific signals: 

ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/iowr
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/adclk
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/UUT/U19_I_Q1/o
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/UUT/PBC1_syncWidth_10/ce
ntrace select -o on -n /main_main_sch_tb/UUT/PBC1_syncWidth_10/clk
ntrace start

Then use this command to run the simulation:

isimrun 500 ns

This will create the file isimwavedata.xwv which can be loaded into ISE for viewing.

Yes, this is painful. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Blundered on the solution to running sim from command line and viewing waveforms in ISE

Sorry for the inconvenience Mike.  Allow me to elaborate:

1) A blank .xwv file was created because by default ISim does not trace any of the design signals.  If you wish to trace signals, you use the ntrace command (as you learned via investigation of the log file).

2) The following ntrace commands will trace all signals in the simulation, allowing you to see the transitions for all simulation objects in your design:

ntrace select -o on  -m / -l all

ntrace start

<run simulation using run commands>

ntrace stop 

The resulting .xwv can then be loaded into ISim standalone for static review.

3) ISim documentation will be improved in the upcoming release of the tools, 11.1 (due Spring this year).  When launching the tool, use the Help menu in ISim to see the available documentation for ISim.

Hope this helps.

Eddie
0 Kudos

I'm having a similar problem with Modelsim PE 6.5.  It seems the simulator does not like PLL_ADV in the unisim library.

I get the same error when I launch my full blown sim as well as when I launch just the offending library module. 

Here is the error stream when I launch just the pll_adv (from GUI or command line) :

# vsim UNISIM.pll_adv
# Loading std.standard
# ** INTERNAL ERROR: pkgref: export lookup failed.
# Loading ieee.std_logic_1164(body)
# Loading ieee.numeric_std(body)
# Loading std.textio(body)
# Loading ieee.vital_timing(body)
# Loading ieee.vital_primitives(body)
# Loading UNISIM.vpkg(body)
# ** Warning: (vsim-3479) Time unit 'ps' is less than the simulator resolution (1ns).
#    Time: 0 ns  Iteration: 0  Region: /
# Loading UNISIM.vcomponents
# Loading UNISIM.pll_adv(pll_adv_v)
# ** Fatal: (SIGSEGV) Bad handle or reference.
#    Time: 0 ns  Iteration: 0  Process: /pll_adv/iniproc File: C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/vhdl/src/unisims/unisim_VITAL.vhd
# FATAL ERROR while loading design
# Error loading design

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Visitor paralax80
Visitor

hi!

did you solve you problem with vital library?

now i have a problem: in ../Xilinx/11.1/ISE/vhdl/src/unisim/ there is no unisim_VITAL.vhd file. I update ISE to 11.4 and this problem not resolved. Do you know where i can take missing file?

0 Kudos
Visitor gchan310
Visitor

You need to start Web Client Services in windows 7. Go to Run > Services.msc > Find webclient and start it

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

You need to start Web Client Services in windows 7

But ISE 11.1 doesn't support Windows 7...

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Newbie megus

Worked for me in Windows 7 32 bit. No Compatibility/administrator settings needed, just start the webservices and it should work. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Newbie 08016518

running webclient worked for me too 7-Pro x64.

0 Kudos