UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

difference between behavioural, post-translate,Post map simulation

Jump to solution

Hello every one,

how to we differentiate between behavioural, post-translate,Post map and Post-route simulation

Which one is called perfect timing simulation among the later 3...

I performed behavioural and post-route for my 'dynamic timing analysis'. Is it to be called the Timing simulation....!

Regards,

Shan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: difference between behavioural, post-translate,Post map simulation

Jump to solution

@sraza wrote:

Hello every one,

how to we differentiate between behavioural, post-translate,Post map and Post-route simulation

I performed behavioural and post-route for my 'dynamic timing analysis'. Is it to be called the Timing simulation....!

Regards,

Shan

Behavioral (or functional) simulation doesn't include timing information, because from the logic-design perspective, it doesn't matter. If this simulation shows problems, there is no reason to attempt place and route because if the logic is wrong, then the design doesn't work. This is the most important simulation and should be as comprehensive as possible, using models of external hardware.

Post-route simulation uses back-annotated timing information that is exact for the design. This can be useful if your external models include timing information and you want to ensure that you meet input set-up and hold times on your inputs. This is generally what's referred to as the "timing simulation."

The other intermediate simulations are wholly uninteresting, unless you suspect that the synthesis tool is doing something wrong (which it's not, it's your code that's not correct).

Now, having said that, in general there's no need to run a timing simulation, because your timing constraints should cover things like clock period, input setup and hold  and output clock-to-out delay (OFFSET IN, OFFSET OUT) and all of that. So you do the comprehensive functional simulation to verify the design is logically correct, and then the static timing analyzer tells you that you meet the timing requirements.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
3 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@sraza wrote:

Hello every one,

Regards,

Shan

Behavioral (or functional) simulation doesn't include timing information, because from the logic-design perspective, it doesn't matter. If this simulation shows problems, there is no reason to attempt place and route because if the logic is wrong, then the design doesn't work. This is the most important simulation and should be as comprehensive as possible, using models of external hardware.

Post-route simulation uses back-annotated timing information that is exact for the design. This can be useful if your external models include timing information and you want to ensure that you meet input set-up and hold times on your inputs. This is generally what's referred to as the "timing simulation."

The other intermediate simulations are wholly uninteresting, unless you suspect that the synthesis tool is doing something wrong (which it's not, it's your code that's not correct).

Now, having said that, in general there's no need to run a timing simulation, because your timing constraints should cover things like clock period, input setup and hold  and output clock-to-out delay (OFFSET IN, OFFSET OUT) and all of that. So you do the comprehensive functional simulation to verify the design is logically correct, and then the static timing analyzer tells you that you meet the timing requirements.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

here
http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/many-simulation-available/m-p/323527#M7045

any xilinx documentation will be better !!! and which simulation called timing simulation??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am tired of the traditions of peoples --
All I want is to live freely with the girl which I love --
But this is impossible because the traditions of the people stronger than me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
Behavioral is simulation of your own RTL. Personally I don't ever do post-map simulation as it is almost as expensive as post-route but doesn't have the same finality. Post route simulation is as close to real hardware as you can get. A correctly annotated post route simulation is what is called the dynamic timing analysis or timing simulation run.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.