UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

difference between orange and red signals in a simulation wcfg file

Jump to solution

I'm wondering what the exact difference is when a signal is coloured orange vs red in a simulation result.

in the screenshot below you can observe that :

* running_average[15:0] is orange until the first rising clock edge, then it turns red. A bit later when the reset signal becomes active, it turns green.

* Some other signals just start off red from the very beginning of the simulation

so when is a signal coloured orange vs red?

orange red.png

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: difference between orange and red signals in a simulation wcfg file

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

U (in orange), means unitialized. It just means that you didn't assign a value to the signals. In HW you will have the reset value or a random value

X (in red) stands for Forcing Unknown. There is several reason to have this on simulation:

-> operation on unitialized signals

-> Sometimes it is used to indicate a corruption (ex BRAM simulation) or an error in the core (simulation behavior described in the simulation model)

Usually I don't care about the U values (orange) but I am carreful about X values (could be errors, not always).

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

U (in orange), means unitialized. It just means that you didn't assign a value to the signals. In HW you will have the reset value or a random value

X (in red) stands for Forcing Unknown. There is several reason to have this on simulation:

-> operation on unitialized signals

-> Sometimes it is used to indicate a corruption (ex BRAM simulation) or an error in the core (simulation behavior described in the simulation model)

Usually I don't care about the U values (orange) but I am carreful about X values (could be errors, not always).

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@florentw, I came across a case of such a 'red' signal that looks harmless (I think) :

red sim.png

signal conf_bit_cntr   : unsigned(5 downto 0); 
    signal s_max_count_tmp : unsigned(5 downto 0);

begin    

process(clock)
    begin
        if rising_edge(clock) then
            if (conf_bit_cntr > 16) then
                s_max_count_tmp <= (others => '0');
            else
                s_max_count_tmp <= conf_bit_cntr - 1;  <--- this causes the 'red' signal (?)
            end if;
        end if;
    end process;

-- non-clocked, such that max_count is valid when done = '1'
    max_count <= std_logic_vector(s_max_count_tmp(3 downto 0));

so I think that the (short) red signal comes from the 'minus 1' operation on conf_bit_cntr which is at the very first rising edge 'U' (initialised), is that correct? And on the next rising edge, propagation makes that it turns green again.

Q : I can easily get rid of the red signal by initialising the signals :

signal conf_bit_cntr   : unsigned(5 downto 0) := (others => '0'); 
    signal s_max_count_tmp : unsigned(5 downto 0) := (others => '0');

but I don't see it often in other code / books / examples ... or at least not consistent, some signals get an initial value, others not. 

What is recommended / good practice? Give each signal an initial value?

I've been thinking that it might be interesting to do this initialisation only in cases where the simulation gives red signals, so you can see that your code 'resolves' from signals with an uninitialised  state (?)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

so I think that the (short) red signal comes from the 'minus 1' operation on conf_bit_cntr which is at the very first rising edge 'U' (initialised), is that correct?

-> Yes in this case the red signals is because you are doing operation on a initialized values.

What is recommended / good practice? Give each signal an initial value?

-> I am not sure if there is really a recommended practice for this. If you know that you won't use the data at the time where it is in red, then there is no need to initialize it, except if you want a nicer simulation result. In the same time, it does not hurt to have a initial value for each signals. Xilinx devices have a dedicated global set/reset signal (GSR). This signal sets the initial value of all sequential cells in hardware at the end of device configuration. So you won't use more resources by giving initial values.

Most of the primitives have a default values of zero by default. So if even if you set the value to 0 in the code, you won't see the difference in HW (only in simulation).

What is recommended however is to remove resets as much as possible and to replace them with initials values.

Hope that is clear,

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@florentw side question : if I would stop using std_logic and std_logic_vector, and use only bit and bit_vector, wouldn't this make life simpeler? Like there are only 2 states a bit can get : 0 and 1, no uninitialised state etc. That would be closer to real hardware, not?

Of course if I need 'Z' then I cannot but use std_logic. But for the most part I don't need 'Z' ... 

0 Kudos