UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export_simulation doesn't generate .mem files

Hi,

I've read a few related posts but didn't see anything that directly answered my issue.  I'm running the export_simulation flow using xsim but running the shell script results in the Microblaze .mem file not being found.

From the documentation and a few forum posts I thought the generate_mem_files was what I want but this just spits out a Project.smi file.  What's the correct flow to output the .mem files and why isn't the export_simulation flow generating everything it needs?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: export_simulation doesn't generate .mem files

just trying to understand here,

You have a desing , with a micorblaze in it,

and you want to access its memmory as a file exported from xsim ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: export_simulation doesn't generate .mem files

How did you run export_simulation? I gave it a try specifying .bd as object and did see .mem as well as .smi files included in the exported directory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

@graces, it's the same script as you helped debug before. Log file attached.

I'm running export_simulation after loading in the complete design which includes a Microblaze MCS IP block.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I don't find anything out of order in the Tcl commands. If you specify xsim as target simulator, there's no need to point to simlib_path though. Anyway, that shouldn't affect the .mem generation.

Is it possible to share the test case for investigation?

0 Kudos

Yes, I can tar up the project.  Do you have an FTP server?  Email me the details of how to upload it.

0 Kudos

OK, so an interesting development.  I've got my main project in Git so used git archive to generate a tar file of the project.  I ran this standalone to double check the flow works before I upload it and the generate_mem_files stage DOES generate the .mem output file along with the .smi.

However, back in my main project, if I delete all bitfiles, bmm, etc and re-run my bitstream generation stage, I don't get the .mem file.

Are there any cached settings that could cause this?

Project attached.

Edit: and the export_simulation stage is now also generating the .mem output.  So altogether a bit worrying.  Any thoughts on why this might be or what I can do to help root cause?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

So export_simulation is not a problem now, correct? What did you do/change to get over the previous issue?

For the new issue, it would be best to create a new topic as it doesn't sound a topic in Simulation board.

Please elaborate the steps to reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos

Well, depending on which directory I run export_simulation from, it either works or doesn't work.  So I can't get you a testcase to replicate the issue.

There must be something about that particular directory tree where the tools have cached something that affects the flow?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I can't think of anything cached that will prevent parital IP output product from being generated.

The IP Cache option is enabled by default for OOC IP flow in project mode and the IP cache is local to the project. 

How does the directory impact whether or not it works?

0 Kudos

@graces , so this has happened again.  It seems that after at least one good run, it stops generating the .mem files.  I'm just experimenting with checking out a clean repo and will report back once I've got a flow for you to try with my testcase.

Edit: in parallel to this I've been trying to simulate the MCS subsystem standalone as I'm having separate issues.  I've only just noticed that the .mem files spat out in this flow are the defaut ones from the Microblaze BD, i.e. a single entry of 0xB800_0000 @ 0x0.

In my implementation flow I'm using the following Tcl to associate the ELF file with the project.  This works for the output bitstream but not for the export_simulation flow.

# Associate the ELF file with the Microblaze
	set elf $::sdkdir/prbs/Debug/prbs.elf
	if { [file exists $elf] } {
	    add_files $elf
	    set_property SCOPED_TO_REF microblaze_mcs_0 [get_files -all $elf]
	    set_property SCOPED_TO_CELLS inst/microblaze_I [get_files -all $elf]
	}

Is this another bug?  Or am I missing further commands that are supposed to be used for the simulation flow?

0 Kudos

This seems stalled so I've moved the question to the Embedded forum.

0 Kudos