UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

global signal logging

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Observer
Accepted Solution

global signal logging

Hi,

Using the built-in Vivado Simulator (isim..?)

Can anyone please tell me how to enable global logging of all signals in a (VHDL) design so that I can add a signal to the waveform "sometime after" starting a simulation, and still be able to see the state of the newly added signal "from the beginning of the simulation"

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Observer

Re: global signal logging

Srimaye,

Thanks for the reply, which provided the answer I was looking for! I much prefer this to the suggested tcl method of recursively adding all signals in a design to the wave window, which I find makes the window far too cluttered

Thanks  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Voyager

Hey @alangford,

Using the built-in Vivado Simulator (isim..?)

In Vivado it is xsim.

Can anyone please tell me how to enable global logging of all signals ...

From the way the simulator is built, I would expect this to be on by default.

Best,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Explorer

Hi @hpoetzl

From my experience, logging for signals that are not included in the waveform window is DISABLED, and not enabled, by default.

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
Scholar

Would also like to know if a way exists.

I can add a signal to the waveform "sometime after" starting a simulation, and still be able to see the state of the newly added signal "from the beginning of the simulation"

As far as I know logging occurs from the time the new signal is added.

Until now I have been, doing a restart --> run all , to get the values of the newly added signal/s from start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voyager

[ Edited ]

@a_chami@dpaul24 maybe we should define what logging and adding means here ...

Note that I do not use xsim very often, because it doesn't work most of the time, but when I start a new simulation, all simulated values are shown in the list of objects and on the wave form.

When I remove a number of them from the waveform and run simulation for a while, I can always add them back and they will be shown like they have been there all the time.

Obviously that's not what you are referring to, so please elaborate ...

Thanks,

Herbert

Explorer

[ Edited ]

@hpoetzl we are talking about signals that were not on the list of signals of the waveform, and are added later on.

Those signals which are added later on start showing values (i.e. logging) only from the moment they were added

As @dpaul24 noted, also in my case, if I notice I need a new signal, and I want to know its values previous to the simulation time when I added it to the waveform, I have no option but to restart the simulation.

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
Voyager

Hey @a_chami,

Those signals which are added later on ...

How are they added?

Thanks,

Herbert

Explorer

@hpoetzl They are added by adding them to the waveform

(right click on signal Object, Add to Wave Window)

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
Voyager

Hey @a_chami,

right click on signal Object, Add to Wave Window

Well, all the signal Objects are already present in the Wave Window, so I can either 'add' them a second time or 'remove' them first, in any case, I get the results I described (i.e. adding them later works and shows historical data).

Best,

Herbert

Scholar

@hpoetzl,

I think you are missing something.

When you run a sim and you have no default wcfg added to your project, then by default Vivado will show you the top_level signals in the waveform window. Now suppose you want to see a signal which is located 1 or more hierarchy deep. That won't be logged by default.

You have to add it to the wave window and by this time your sim has already run x.y ns. You will be seeing the status of the *newly* added signal from time x.y ns and not before that.

The same is true even if the project contains an added wcfg. A new signal added to it will show values only from x.y ns onwards.

FPGA enthusiast!