cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

how to generate 4 MHz clock from 2 MHz clock in FPGA.

Hi,

I need to generate 4 Mhz clock from 2 MHz clock . I checked clocking wizard/MMCM/PLL , but there input clock range start from 10 MHz.

I had read about using rising and falling edge detectors but they fail to give 50% duty cycle.

can DDS(direct digital synthesizer ) convert 2MHz clock frequency into 4MHz frequency??

what are the other methods to do that??

Regards
Ankit

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Is this really a simulation question?

Highlighted

Hi @ankitkes2 

What is the device your design targetted for ?  Please check the clock buffers having dividing capability in respective device clocking user guide

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@pthakare 

this design is for Arty board containing Artix 7 chip. fpga part no is XC7A35TICSG324-1L. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@ankitkes2,

I checked clocking wizard/MMCM/PLL , but there input clock range start from 10 MHz.

You know this.

I need to generate 4 Mhz clock from 2 MHz clock .

Then the next question would be, what is the source of this 4MHz clk?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@dpaul24 

4 MHz clock has to be generated from 2 MHz clock.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I did not think Arty board had a 4 MHz input clock,
To a first order, you can not make a 4 MHz clock out of a 2 MHz one

Maybe if we understood a little more of your design then we could help more.

Where does the 4 MHz clock come from ? is it made inside the FPGA ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@ankitkes2,

Sorry, typo...

I meant source of 2MHz clk.

But more info on the source clock is needed to answer in a better way.

Answering your question differently, just o/p 20MHz from your MMCM/PLL and write your divide by 5 logic to get 4MHz clock. Do not generate a new clock signal, you generate clock_enable signals.

Also please do not duplicate posts.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@ankitkes2,

To generate a 4MHz clock from a 2MHz clock ...

1. Your board has a 100MHz clock.  Let's use it for this example
  2. Run the 2MHz clock through a 2FF synchronizer, as you would for any incoming asynchronous logic
  3. Then make the clock an input to this logic PLL
  4. You'll want to use the 100MHz input clock as the input clock for the PLL.
  5. You'll also want to set the default phase step, i_step, to 2MHz / 100MHz * 2^PHASE_BITS, or 32'h051eb852 for PHASE_BITS=32.  (Drop the low order bits for a shorter PHASE_BITS setting.)  You can hold i_ld high for one cycle to make sure this is set properly.
  6. The PLL outputs PHASE_BITS of output phase.  Take bit PHASE_BITS-2 from that output phase
  7. This will be your 4MHz clock.

Dan

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@drjohnsmith 

The 2 Mhz clock is generated from the input data using the clock recovery algorithm. I require one 4 MHZ clock that must be synchronize to this 2 MHz clock. If i use arty board clock to generate 4 MHz than both clock would not be synchronized. and i don't know how to synchronize/align two clocks generated from different sources.

So I thought it would be better if I can generate 4 MHz clock from my original 2 MHZ clock .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

You can always use CDC methods to get the data into the new clock domain. Usually you would use a FIFO for this..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@ankitkes2,

Here's a description of how an asynchronous FIFO works, such as you might wish to use in this situation.  Using it, you should have no problems passing a data stream from a 2MHz clock domain to a 4MHz clock domain.

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please don't crosspost

You have another thead here:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/how-to-generate-4-MHz-clock-from-2-MHz-clock-in-FPGA/m-p/1075579

and yet 3rd duplicate thread that was already steered back to one of these.

It is difficult for others to offer you coherent advice with the same subject in multiple boards/threads. Or for others to follow later.

0 Kudos