Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
babu_image@
Observer
Observer

how to get the waveform for particular signal after completion of simulation

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

after completion of simulation , I am able to see the waveform for particular added signals .

so, my Question is , for eg: I forgot to add one signal to waveform window . if I add that signal to wave from window after completion of simulation(10ns)  .but we can't get the waveform for particular signal up to  simulation time(10ns)  .so which command I have to use for getting the waveform from(0 to 10ns) . I am using vivado 2016.4 . vivado simulator.

thanks for advance.

Regards,

Mani.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thakurr

Hi babu_image@

I don't think there will be any way other than re-simulating the design once the new signals are added. However you can save the waveform results in Vivado so that you need not to run the simulation again and again for your design. Here is the method:

1)Before running simulation , open simulation settings and under simulation options , check "xsim.simulate.log_all_signals" . Click apply and close the settings.

2) Run behavioral simulation and add desired signals to waveform.

3) You can close your project and you can find the wdb (waveform data base ) file in project_name.sim/sim_1/behav/ .
4) To open the waveform database and view your waveform result , you can go to Flow (in menu bar) and select open static simulation. You can view your waveform results now. You can also add any other signal which you want to view on waveform without running simulation again.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

10 Replies
jmcclusk
Mentor
Mentor

Restart the simulation, and then run it again for the desired time.     Whenever you add a new signal to the waveform window, you have to restart and resimulate to get the wave for that signal.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
bandi

Hi babu_image@,

For more information, on the steps for adding signals and running simulation, please refer the below tutorial guide page#30,36:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_2/ug937-vivado-design-suite-simulation-tutorial.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

--------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give 'Kudos' to a post which you think is useful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
babu_image@
Observer
Observer

Thanks for your reply,

if the simulation will take 20 min to complete . if I add the signal to wave from window after completion of simulation , again I need to run ,means it is waste of time.. 

is there anyway with out doing re run??

Regards,

Mani

0 Kudos
babu_image@
Observer
Observer

Thanks for your reply ,

I didn't get any information ,what I need from that document. can you please suggest other than this.

Regards,

Mani P V

0 Kudos
florentw

HI babu_image@,

In vivado simulator, just configure the time for 10 ns and run just for 10 ns:

sim.PNG

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
babu_image@
Observer
Observer

Hi 

0 Kudos
florentw

Hi babu_image@,

You need to restart the simulation:

sim.PNG

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
babu_image@
Observer
Observer

Hi florentw,

again i need to restart the simulation means ,it's wasting of time.

Regards,

Mani P V

0 Kudos
thakurr

Hi babu_image@

I don't think there will be any way other than re-simulating the design once the new signals are added. However you can save the waveform results in Vivado so that you need not to run the simulation again and again for your design. Here is the method:

1)Before running simulation , open simulation settings and under simulation options , check "xsim.simulate.log_all_signals" . Click apply and close the settings.

2) Run behavioral simulation and add desired signals to waveform.

3) You can close your project and you can find the wdb (waveform data base ) file in project_name.sim/sim_1/behav/ .
4) To open the waveform database and view your waveform result , you can go to Flow (in menu bar) and select open static simulation. You can view your waveform results now. You can also add any other signal which you want to view on waveform without running simulation again.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit

View solution in original post

babu_image@
Observer
Observer

Thanks thakurr.

0 Kudos