UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

how to see the reg signal after synthesize

Hey guys,

I want to trace one datapath by chipscope in my design, but after sysnthesize, I found some of reg signals are disappear. As other peoples said, I Keep hierarchy YES, and add the constraint for the the reg signal I want to see (*keep = "TRUE"*) 

But it seems no affect. Still cann't see this signal. Could somebody give me some suggestions?

Wei

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: how to see the reg signal after synthesize

Sometimes a signal is still in the design, but has been renamed.  Remember that in a heirarchical

design, any net that goes through a module port may have different names at each level of the

hierarchy, and at the end only one of these names remains.  For XST this is normally the name

of the reg where the signal is driven.  So let's say you have a top level module that instantiates

a lower level module like

my_lower_module mlm_inst

(

. . .

.d_out  (data_from_mlm)

);

and my_lower_module has a port defined as:

output wire [7:0] d_out,

and within the module:

reg [7:0] data_within_mlm;

assign d_out = data_within_mlm;

Now you have an 8 bit bus that could be called:

data_from_mlm

mlm_inst/d_out

or

mlm_inst/data_within_mlm

I think in this case you'll see the last one, but it's up to XST to decide.  So you need to

search for any of these in the ChipScope inserter.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: how to see the reg signal after synthesize

In the case that the concerned reg signals are unconnected (sourceless or loadless), "keep" property doesn't prevent trimming. You need to apply "S" (Save Net Flag).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos