cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to write content of the BRAM to text file?

how to write content of the BRAM to text file? What is the problem with following test bench?

module mem1_tb;

// Inputs
reg clka;
reg [17:0] addra;
reg [7:0] dina;

// Outputs
wire [7:0] douta;
integer f,i;
// Instantiate the Unit Under Test (UUT)
mem1 uut (
.clka(clka),
.addra(addra),
.dina(dina),
.douta(douta)
);

initial begin
// Initialize Inputs
clka = 0;
addra = 0;
dina = 0;

// Wait 100 ns for global reset to finish
#100;

#2;

end

always #5 clka = ~clka;

always #6 addra = addra +1'b1;

initial
begin
f = $fopen("output.txt","w");
end

always @(posedge clka) begin
$fwrite(f,"%d\n",douta);
end

endmodule

0 Kudos
2 Replies
thakurr

Hi subimanc@gmail.com

To my understanding as both initial and always statements execute at 0 ns, hence there is no guarantee that the file will be opened before you write to it.

Also you forgot to close the file with $fclose(f).

Check the below arctile, hope it helps:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25607124/test-bench-for-writing-verilog-output-to-a-text-file

Regards

Rohit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
dgisselq
Scholar
Scholar

If your memory sits on a wishbone bus within an FPGA (or Verilator simulation), then you might find this project (https://github.com/ZipCPU/dbgbus) to be valuable.  Not only does the demonstration show how to read/write an FPGA block RAM from an external (PC) host, but there's also a scope within it allowing you to "see" what's going on within your hardware.  See this page for more details.

Dan

P.S.  There is a lot more that could be said and shared here, but for some reason I'm getting an error that says I'm trying to comment on a "read-only" forum.

0 Kudos