cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

loop count limit of 5000 exceeded

When I try to simulate a large generate for loop (50k) in the Vivado 2013.4, 2014.1 & 2014.2 simulators, it errors out with "loop count limit of 5000 exceeded".  I tried changing the loop count in the project settings (TCL: "set_property loop_count 1000000 [current_fileset]").  That doesn't help.  Any idea where the 5000 limit setting is coming from or how to change it?

The Vivado Users Guide [UG895 (v2014.1) April 2, 2014 (page 33)] notes:

Loop Count: Specifies the maximum loop iteration value. The default is 1000.

Note: The Loop Count option is used during RTL elaboration but does not apply to synthesis. For synthesis, you must specify the -loop_iteration_limit switch in the More Options field of the Synthesis Settings dialog box.

I need to synthesize this design as well with XST.  Where is the synthesis and implementation limit kept also?  I tried a variety of guesses as to what the more options string should be named.  All failed.  I don't see it documented either. 

Thanks

jer

0 Kudos
2 Replies

This post is old now, was the issue resolved at your end? Do you still need any assistance?
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

From message, it seems like the issue was to do with something like 

________

module top; 

genvar i; 

generate 
for(i = 0; i < 6000; i= i + 1) 
initial $display(i); 
endgenerate 
endmodule 

________

We had issue in vivado_simulator which has been fixed in 2014.3.

0 Kudos