cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

power analysis

Hi,

I am trying to do power analysis of a part of my design. I want to generate a .vcd file (which seems to contain the switching activity for all elements in the design) for giving as input to XPA. I can't seem to generate the vcd file because I am missing the "vcd" utility. I even tried the "saif" utility, it's not there as well. I am using Xilinx ISE 9.2i, is it possible to get these utilities standalone (I tried google it didn't work!)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

The standalone Xilinx Power Estimator (XPE) can be found here.

The more accurate XPower Analyser (XPA) is part of the ISE suite.  You can download and install ISE 12.4 and still keep your ancient ISE version running on your machine.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

VCD information or SAIF information comes from the HDL simulator you are targetting. If you look in the XPA help, there are instructions on how to enable this for simulator of choice.

In Project navigator, if you are using ISim, you can enable this in the properties for post-par simulation flow.

If you set the switch to write an SAIF file for power analysis and then run Power Analysis, it will be done for you.

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

How do we generate .xpa file to give it as input to power analyser ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_4/pp_p_process_generate_power_data.htm can take you to Power Report Properties and then check out Setting Output file : http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_4/pp_db_power_report_properties.htm
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

try this commands
vcd dumpfile results.vcd
vcd dumpvars -m /
vcd dumpon
run 1000 ns
vcd dumpoff
vcd dumpflush

xpwr <project_name>.ncd <project_name>.pcf -s results.vcd -tb 100 ps -o report.pwr
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@rizwan.ashraf 

If you have found a solution in anyone of the replies in this topic, please feel free to accept as a solution so that it can be referred by other users. It is a good Forums practice and helps the community stay healthy.

Thanks!

Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos