UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant zuweihan1992
Participant

problem launching modelsim with vivado 2013.4

Hi everyone,

I am a new and I am trying to launch modelsim on vivado according to this website:

http://www.xilinx.com/training/vivado/simulating-with-modelsim-in-vivado.htm

However, it always said :

ERROR: [Vivado 12-2180] No simulator specified for compilation ...
compile_simlib tcltask - end ... (1)
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'compile_simlib' failed due to earlier errors.

when I type compile_simlib on TCL console. So I tried to find a soultion  from the Internet and I found from here:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Vivado-compile-simlib-problem/m-p/348373

that I need to use this instruction:

compile_simlib -simulator modelsim -simulator_exec_path PATH
PATH -- path to modelsim executable

And it can execute modelsim correctly when I press "Run Behavioral Simulation". But there is always a mistake when executing the modelsim (in the attachments).

And the program for that line is:

vsim -voptargs="+acc" -t 1ps -L unisims_ver -L unimacro_ver -L secureip -L blk_mem_gen_v8_1 -L fifo_generator_v11_0 -L proc_common_v4_0 -L axi_lite_ipif_v2_0 -L interrupt_control_v3_0 -L axi_gpio_v2_0 -L proc_sys_reset_v5_0 -L generic_baseblocks_v2_1 -L axi_data_fifo_v2_1 -L axi_infrastructure_v1_1 -L axi_register_slice_v2_1 -L axi_protocol_converter_v2_1 -lib work sim_wrapper glbl

Can anyone help me? Thank you!

Best regards,

Weihan

modelsim_error.PNG
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: problem launching modelsim with vivado 2013.4

The above error message gives information that user has not specified the simulator which should be used for compiling the libraries.

Since the requirement is Mo​delsim simulator you need to add the simulator name (modelsim) with compile_simlib command. You can use the below TCL command

compile_simlib –simulator modelsim

To know more about the compiling libraries in Vivado 2013.2 I request you to go through page number 110-111 in the following user guide (UG900):

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_2/ug900-vivado-logic-simulation.pdf

You can also type compile_simlib –help in TCL console which will give you more information about this command.​
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Participant zuweihan1992
Participant

Thank you for your reply!

I tried to type "compile_simlib –simulator modelsim" command, but it is still the same problem. In the previous TCL command, I used :

compile_simlib -simulator modelsim -simulator_exec_path PATH
PATH -- path to modelsim executable

I think the first part is "simulator modelsim". Is that right? But then I do not know how to deal with the problem

0 Kudos

I think your design contains both VHDL and Verilog file. The VHDL files would be present in few cores and Modelsim PE Student Edition would support a single HDL simulation (Verilog or VHDL) but not mixed.
http://www.mentor.com/company/higher_ed/modelsim-student-edition.
So, need not worry, Synthesize your code in Vivado, Open Synthesized design and Click on Simulate > Post-Synthesis Functional Simulation. Synthesis would absorb the mixed HDL issue and the generated post-synthesis sim model would be in single HDL OR use Vivado Simulator :)

Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant zuweihan1992
Participant

Thank you for your reply.

I tried your method: Synthesis first and then "Run Post Synthesis Functional Simulation" and the previous problem is solved.

However, there is a new problem:

Fatal: Attempting to load -nodebug design unit.
#  Nodebug designs are not supported.

What is this means? Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Weihan

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Refer to the following group discussion.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/modelsim-pe-student-edition/yCnMFfptcR4

It looks PE student edition has no support for encrypted models. 

You need to either upgrade Modelsim or use Vivado simulator.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

A quick attempt would be to remove -nodebug from vopt in your script. Suggestion would be to seek help from Mentor forums about limitations of Modelsim PE student version.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos