cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

"Tracing Limit is reached" in isim (11.3)

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm having a problem where after 1024 clock cycles I get the Tracing Limit is reached message in isim.This occurs no matter how big a simulation it is, even if its a basic addition with nothing else.

I have read: this thread and it doesn't seem to help much with my problem.

I am using ISE 11.3,  have 4GB of RAM (3GB unused when running isim), and about 8GB of hard drive space free.

The problem only started occuring today, the same simulation was fine even this morning. I have of course tried the obvious (restarting ISE/Isim, rebooting PC, clearing project files in ISE) to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

** Thread Update **

Please note that the patch included in Xilinx Answer 33422 was updated on November 17th to resolve an issue where the patch will stop the simulator from launching successfully on some machines.  Please install the patch to resolve the premature tracing limit errors as well as any side effects ocurring from the previous patch.

Please contact Technical Support via a WebCase if you have any questions.

Message Edited by edv on 11-20-2009 08:27 AM
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

Please review Xilinx Answers 33422 and 33592 to see if the issue you are running into is a known issue.  Otherwise, contact Xilinx Technical Support via a WebCase for more help.

Thanks.

Eddie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the answer, I looked at those but they don't seem to apply to my problem (I'm using windows XP 32bit and have plenty of spare memory and already have 11.3).

The problem doesn't seem to be happening when I run simulations today, not sure why it wasn't working yesterday. If I get issues again I'll raise a webcase.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

nickb,

You can try using the patch in Xilinx Answer 33592 on your XP 32-bit machine.  The patch was thought to be 64-bit specific but the issue and solution is also applicable on 32-bit machines.  The Xilinx Answer will be revised to show this fact.

Can you please install the patch to resolve the issue?  If issues persist, please open a WebCase for further help.

Xilinx Technical Support is currently confirming whether this patch is applicable on 32-bit systems.  

The patch for premature "Tracing Limit is Reached" errors has been confirmed to work on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.  Please refer to Xilinx Answer 33422 (Solution 2) for more information.

Message Edited by edv on 10-21-2009 05:44 PM

Message Edited by edv on 10-29-2009 07:20 PM
Eddie
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor
Thanks for the info, I'll give the patch a try. As the issue seems to be sporadic it will be tricky to determine if its worked, but I'll let you know if I have any more issues.
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Ok, I tried the patch and as my system is windows 32bit it doesn't work (the isim doesn't load any simulations at all) so I have reverted to the standard windows 32bit.

I haven't experienced the problem again since it happened a few days ago so I'll just leave it at that and if I have the problem again I'll open a webcase.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Nick,

Thanks for the feedback.  We will investigate this issue in more detail and report back.

Eddie
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Nick,

I've confirmed the patch should work on both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit machines.  The 32-bit libraries that are updated in the patch are used in both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit machines (Windows 64-bit uses the 32-bit ISim libraries/binaries.  Prior to 12.1, there is no 64-bit ISim native application support).

It is possible the issue you encounter was due to applying the patch on a non ISim 11.3 build.  Please make sure you have updated ISE to 11.3 and then apply the patch.

Eddie
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I've got a similar problem as nickb-csc, as Eddie knows from the webcase I have already opened.

My failure mode is different.  In addition to the message about reaching the tracing limit, I observe that tracing continues in the wave window, but the transitions stop.  All traces become flat lines.  Note that the simulation still shows toggling clocks and changing signals in another window, the waveforms simply don't get drawn.

When I hit "restart", the wave window goes blank as usual.  But then if I hit "run", no traces whatsoever are drawn.  Furthermore, I cannot break the simulation, it just keeps on running forever.  Closing ISim doesn't stop it, and I have to reboot to be able to start a new simulation.  Deleting the *.exe files created by ISim has sometimes helped, but not always.

I unzipped the libSimBridge*.dll from http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33422.htm, and like Nick states, ISim no longer does anything.  Unfortunately, I don't think this patch is ready for 11.4.

My system is a Dell Precision T3400 which reports having a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, 3.25GB SDRAM, Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 with no Microsoft web updates, and dongle-licensed ISE Logic Edition 11.3, application version L.57.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Endi,

Thats the same failure mode as I am getting. I probably should have elaborated more in my original posts.

I haven't come across the problem again since my last post (I haven't done anything to change my system, I did not install the patch as suggested after my last post indicating that it stopped my isim working).

Nick

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

** Thread Update **

Please note that the patch included in Xilinx Answer 33422 was updated on November 17th to resolve an issue where the patch will stop the simulator from launching successfully on some machines.  Please install the patch to resolve the premature tracing limit errors as well as any side effects ocurring from the previous patch.

Please contact Technical Support via a WebCase if you have any questions.

Message Edited by edv on 11-20-2009 08:27 AM
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos