UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor gopal.maste
Visitor

saving the isim binary data in the wave form to a text file.

hello all,

i am working on a design where the simulation data has to be saved as in a .TXT format for verifying it with another set of data , i have surfed many options but still not able to make out the correct way to it.

an early response will be appreciated.

thanks,

gopal.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: saving the isim binary data in the wave form to a text file.

Hello ...

One option that might work for you is the Value Change Dump (VCD) file export. This is an ascii format file that represents the data from the simulation run. This option is decribed in the ISim User's Guide as can be found here:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx13_1/plugin_ism.pdf

One place the VCD format itself is described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_change_dump

However, what I would recommend is recording the data at critical points in the simulaton that you wish to save to a file yourself via testbench code, and then use that as a golden simulation file for comparison during later runs. In many cases, with asynchronous FIFOs and other asynchornous circuits, the data will be output on a different clock cycle than a previous simulation, but still be correct, so a direct simulation wave comparison would not be accurate.

OK, I hope this

Scott

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: saving the isim binary data in the wave form to a text file.

What about adding $fdisplay statements to your simulation to capture the data in exactly the way you want (including when to sample it, exact output format etc) ?

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos