UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie mark_harris

sdf back annotation with questasim 10.7c

I'm having problems trying to figure out how to run back annotation with questasim 10.7c. The Xilinx documentation requires you to run the simulator with the -novopt option so that the sdf matches the Verilog netlist. Questasim 10.7c does not support -novopt, so when I try to run back annotation I get errors due to the Verilog netlist not matching the sdf file. I am unable to find anything in the Xilinx documentation about options for questasim 10.7c. I contacted Mentor about this and they gave me some options to suppress errors just to make the back annotation run, but I'm not so sure the timing is correct since the simulation database always gets optimized. Has anyone else run into this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: sdf back annotation with questasim 10.7c

The compatible Questasim version with the latest Vivado is 10.6c.

The deprecation of '-novopt' in Questasim/Modelsim 10.7 will cause trouble in compile_simlib in the current Vivado release.

For SDF annotation, I think the flow is the same. If you launch Questasim from Vivado, the tool will perform 3-step simulation, including vopt. Which documentation did you refer to that suggests -novopt for timing simulation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Newbie mark_harris

ug900 indicates -novopt should be used. I get errors if I don't use it because the Verilog and sdf no longer match. Basically questasim always optimizes from this version on. You can only control how much it optimizes. You cannot turn it off. You can suppress the errors with the right options, but then it's not clear to me if the timing is accurate.

If you want to contact the Mentor representative I spoke with, email me at mbrown68@harris.com and I can send you more information.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I checked UG900 v2018.2, and only found -novopt mentioned in config_compile_simlib usage.

If you look at the timing sim scripts exported by Vivado with compatible Questasim version, you still see 3-step. vopt is performed prior to vsim. 

I don't think -novopt is a necessity for timing simulation.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos