cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

simulating an ise project with a microblaze core in isim

I have a project in ise which includes a microblaze core.

How do i get the simulation to run with the .elf file?

What i have done now, is set the .elf association to the microblaze core but it still dosn't run the application.

I have gone through a couple of  tutorials on isim simulatiions and microblaze but they are all for edk projects.

Is there any tutorials for ise 13.4 isim simulation with microblaze?

regards

jonas

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

so there is no way to simulate a microblaze system using ise?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Anyone got any further on this? I'm trying to simulate through ISE too and the Microblaze seems to hang on the first instruction...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hey litzelm

I got the ISE simulation of the Microblaze working. You have to add the .elf file you generate from the SDK to the ISE project so it is associated with the testbench and processor, but don't have the .elf as the startup. Right click the processor and go to xmp/elf initialisation and choose bootloop for the processor. Image you are running it through SDK, you generate the .elf by building the project but you initialise the Microblaze using hte bootloop. If you do this and then simulate you should see it working.

Cheers

David 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi, I'm trying to simulate the uBlaze in ISE too.

I tried your solution, but it isn't working. I generated an elf file and I right-clicked on the processor instance and on "xmp/elf file association". There I tried to associate both the bootloop and the elf file in the simulation tab, but it doesn't work. From iSim it seems that all the processor IPs remain in the reset state. The project I implemented is working, because I tried it on the FPGA...

I don't know how to get out of this issue... :-(

Isn't there a manual or a tutorial to simulate a Microblaze from ISE?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@lucianocapasso wrote:

Isn't there a manual or a tutorial to simulate a Microblaze from ISE?

Back when I did MicroBlaze designs, I didn't bother trying to simulate the processor. I wrote bus-functional models of the PLB and used them when simulating the design. They would drive bus transactions to my PLB slaves at the appropriate time.

(No, I cannot give you my models. Sorry.)

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

If the .elf file associated with the Microblaze is to be loaded and run from BRAM inside the device then I cannot see why simply adding the .elf to the project and associating it with the simulation does not work, as this is precisely what I do with no issues.

If all the processor IPs remain in reset, I would consider looking how the reset, particularly the EXTERNAL reset is operating. If you are not using a testbench, stop right now and write a testbench.

Regards,

Howard

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

hai would you mind eleborate more on this, if possible with tutorial or steps. im a student from malaysia using microblaze in my final year projek to implement microblaze in xilinx spartan 3 fpga. i sucessfully done the real implementation but i couldnt simulate the processor. can u help? thanks :)

0 Kudos