Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

simulation sets best practice

Jump to solution

I'm wondering about the exact purpose of multiple simulation sets - what are they meant for, how should we use them?

Asume I have a design with a top level and 2 sub modules :

* submodule1.vhd

* submodule2.vhd

* toplevel.vhd

Now I want to create 3 different test benches, one for each of the files. Each testbench also has 1 or multiple .wcfg files :

* tb_submodule1.vhd, sub1.wcfg

* tb_submodule2.vhd, sub2.wcfg

* tb_toplevel.vhd, toplevel_1.wcfg, toplevel_2.wcfg, toplevel_3.wcfg

Q1 : I think I should create 3 sim sets for this purpose, is that exactly what these sim sets are meant for, or ?

Also, most of the time I run behavioural simulation, because it's fast and doesn't require synthesis after each modification.

From time to time, I run synthesis and then 'post-synthesis functional simulation'. In that case the .wcfg files often contain a lot of signals that are no longer part of the synthesised nettles (merged, optimised away, ...). As such, the .wcfg files don't show these. However if I accidentally save these files then, I loose my wcfg setup for behavioural simulation 

Q2 : is it also better practice to create separate sim sets for post-synthesis functional simulation, with their own .wcfg files? (If yes, can I re-use the behavioural testench for this simulation?)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi Ronnywebbers,

To answer your questions quickly,

Q1: Yes this is what they are for.

Q2: It's up to you but if you are editing the contents of the Waveform a lot then it doesn't cost anything to have two sets, one for functional and one for behavioural to maintain the views the next time you run

Simulation sets let you group files for each simulation run in a separate folder usually within the project hierarchy in the following format e.g.

Project_name -> project_name.sim -> sim_1

This folder may not show up until after you have run the simulation for the first time.

Using this you can create multiple simulation sets each containing different files or settings so you can have the testbenches you want and switch between them as you wish by right clicking on the set and choosing make active.

sim_1: tb_submodule1.vhd, sub1.wcfg

sim_2: tb_submodule2.vhd, sub2.wcfg

sim_3: tb_toplevel.vhd, toplevel_1.wcfg, toplevel_2.wcfg, toplevel_3.wcfg

Likewise you can have separate sets for behavioural and functional runs if you wish. Each set can be named when it is created so they are easier to remember.

User Guide 900, page 34 Working with Simulation Sets has more information on this.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted

Hi Ronnywebbers,

To answer your questions quickly,

Q1: Yes this is what they are for.

Q2: It's up to you but if you are editing the contents of the Waveform a lot then it doesn't cost anything to have two sets, one for functional and one for behavioural to maintain the views the next time you run

Simulation sets let you group files for each simulation run in a separate folder usually within the project hierarchy in the following format e.g.

Project_name -> project_name.sim -> sim_1

This folder may not show up until after you have run the simulation for the first time.

Using this you can create multiple simulation sets each containing different files or settings so you can have the testbenches you want and switch between them as you wish by right clicking on the set and choosing make active.

sim_1: tb_submodule1.vhd, sub1.wcfg

sim_2: tb_submodule2.vhd, sub2.wcfg

sim_3: tb_toplevel.vhd, toplevel_1.wcfg, toplevel_2.wcfg, toplevel_3.wcfg

Likewise you can have separate sets for behavioural and functional runs if you wish. Each set can be named when it is created so they are easier to remember.

User Guide 900, page 34 Working with Simulation Sets has more information on this.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards
Aidan

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users

View solution in original post