UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor justins
Visitor

sometimes PLL will not re-lock after reset

The design I'm working on has 5 PLLs/MMCMs. They are all fed by an input clock from a BUFG. For the previous year, I've seen no issues related to this logic. The coverage includes my unit tests as well as a regression suite developed by our verification team.

We recently found a scenario where sometimes 1 or more PLLs will fail to re-lock after being reset. I don't believe we are violating any of the usage guidelines. The reset is asynchronous, and applied for >10 input clock periods, which is present and non-changing the entire time. 

I believe this is some kind of simulation model artifact. We had been using the 2016.4 version of the simulation libraries. When I update to 2018.3, the behavior changes (some PLLs that don't re-lock using 2016.4 will re-lock using 2018.3, but not all).

Additionally, if I change the PLL multiply and divide values, but keep the same ratio, the behavior changes (sometimes results in a re-lock, sometimes not)

Has anyone seen anything like this and/or can suggest next steps for debugging?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: sometimes PLL will not re-lock after reset

Hi @justins,

Can you please let us know which device are you using?

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos