UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

view array or BRAM memory contents in vivado with USB Xilinx platform cable III

Jump to solution

Hello,

On the hardware, is there a technique to view the contents of arrays or BRAM with the USB Xilinx platform cable III?

Frank

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: view array or BRAM memory contents in vivado with USB Xilinx platform cable III

Jump to solution

Hey @travellingwave,

I know BRAM is not SDRAM.

Good! :)

Would the simplest technique be to copy from BRAM to SDRAM with AXI BRAM controller ...

The AXI BRAM controller does not copy anything from BRAM to SDRAM, it provides a register interface to a BRAM over AXI, which can be accessed via memory mapped IO registers.

... and Microblaze and ...

The MicroBlaze is a soft CPU running inside the PL and it can get direct access to a BRAM by simply connecting it to one of its busses, which can, of course, be AXI.

... inspect the SDRAM with the SDK debugger?

You can use the SDK debugger to inspect SDRAM when it is connected to the CPU you are debugging.

Could the SDK debugger look at the AXI BRAM controller memory space directly?

Yes, this is also just memory addresses and as long as it is mapped into the CPUs memory space you can access it.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
6 Replies
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Re: view array or BRAM memory contents in vivado with USB Xilinx platform cable III

Jump to solution

Hey @travellingwave,

On the hardware, is there a technique to view the contents of arrays or BRAM with the USB Xilinx platform cable III?

Really depends on the FPGA, but assuming that the device in question has a BSCAN element (Boundary-Scan User Instruction) then you can attach this (together with a small logic) to a BRAM port and read out (or modify) the content via any JTAG cable.

Note that this will require that the BRAM port is either dedicated to the probing or can be switched between 'normal operation' and 'probe read-out'.

As far as I know, there is no out-of-the-box solution available with the Xilinx tools, but I might be wrong here.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It's artix 7 XCA75T.

Frank 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If I do write in C, I do have the chance to use the SDK debugger in the SDK and inspect SDRAM. I do have SDRAM on my board, but so far I am not using it yet and I am not using the SDK either yet. I am just wondering if I can somehow use the SDK with Microblaze without much additional logic.

Frank

I made a typo in my last post. it is a XC7A75T.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @travellingwave,

If I do write in C, I do have the chance to use ...

I presume you are talking about C code for a soft-cpu (like the MicroBlaz) or do you plan to utilize HLS and design the logic with C too?

I do have SDRAM on my board, but so far I am not using it ...

SDRAM is not BRAM, but you can probably use both and also inspect both with a little extra logic in the FPGA.

I am just wondering if I can somehow use the SDK with Microblaze without much additional logic.

A soft-cpu can certainly access RAM content (BRAM, SDRAM) if designed properly and a remote debugger will also give you the desired access via the JTAG programming cabe, but it all depends on what you plan to do ...

Best,

Herbert

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I know BRAM is not SDRAM. Would the simplest technique be to copy from BRAM to SDRAM with AXI BRAM controller and Microblaze and inspect the SDRAM with the SDK debugger? Could the SDK debugger look at the AXI BRAM controller memory space directly?

Frank

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @travellingwave,

I know BRAM is not SDRAM.

Good! :)

Would the simplest technique be to copy from BRAM to SDRAM with AXI BRAM controller ...

The AXI BRAM controller does not copy anything from BRAM to SDRAM, it provides a register interface to a BRAM over AXI, which can be accessed via memory mapped IO registers.

... and Microblaze and ...

The MicroBlaze is a soft CPU running inside the PL and it can get direct access to a BRAM by simply connecting it to one of its busses, which can, of course, be AXI.

... inspect the SDRAM with the SDK debugger?

You can use the SDK debugger to inspect SDRAM when it is connected to the CPU you are debugging.

Could the SDK debugger look at the AXI BRAM controller memory space directly?

Yes, this is also just memory addresses and as long as it is mapped into the CPUs memory space you can access it.

Hope this helps,

Herbert