UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

vivado simulator sometimes open file when break simulation.

Highlighted
Participant

vivado simulator sometimes open file when break simulation.

hi,

just a stupid question about the vivado simulator enviroment that is annoying me when running the simulator.

when I execute the break command (pause symbol or F5) running the simulation, sometimes the vivado opens a code file where I suppose the simulator breaks but another doesn't and I didn't found the pattern for this behaviour and I would like to avoid to do this.

Any ideas?.

Thanks,

regards,

J.

Xilinx Employee

Re: vivado simulator sometimes open file when break simulation.

Hi @jmartinez,

Vivado simulator opens text editor whenever there is a break in simulation .This can be from step/pause/using break points which help in debugging. For example , if the simulation is stuck , user can pause and know at what line the simulation isn't progressing.

Is there any specific reason you were using break? Instead , you can use "run for" if you want to pause the simulation multiple times . This does not open the text editor file.

Thanks,

Srimayee

Explorer

I've been watching this topic because this is one of my most hated behaviors of Vivado simulation. I click the pause button because I want to look at the simulation results. Unless I have a breakpoint set, I really don't care what random place the simulator stopped in the source code. I look at the waveforms, check the source code (on a second monitor with an external editor) and either grab more signals and resimulate or change the source and resimulate. Modelsim has a switch to turn off this file-opening behavior, so why can't Vivado simulation?

---

Joe Samson

Participant

hello @srimaye,

thanks for reply, as far as I know the pause/break action are the same in vivado simulator witch are excuted by the pause button (f5 shortkey)  in vivado IDE but they don't should be the same because they are diferent concepts.

I understand the point of opening the file where the simulation breaks but in my case when break operation is executed in the middle of a running simulation sometimes open a file and sometimes not. Why this could be happening?.

like @josephsamson I also would like to be able to run/ pause the simulation several times to debug the design and change signals values in tcl without recompile and the option run for xx time is not so confortable like the pause/run action. Also the progress window in the middle of the vivado IDE is very annoying.

Regards,

Julian.

Xilinx Employee

Hi @jmartinez,

For "when break operation is executed in the middle of a running simulation sometimes open a file and sometimes not".I do see file opening whenever simulation is pause/break .Is it that the second time you have paused the simulation , the simulation is paused at different line in same design file as previous? Can you point to me any project where you found this behavior?

Thanks,

Srimayee

Participant

hello @srimaye,

the open file behaviour is totally random with open diferent files in diferent breaks (sometimes it´s always opening only one file and the break is pointing to the same line) and sometimes when relaunching the simulation It doesn't open anything and just remains in the simulation window.

Otherwise the simulation behaviour is correct.

I can´t share the code but this behaviour is happening in every simulation running in Vivado (2016.2) with different kind of projects.

regards,

Julian.