cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

warning in ISE(latches maybe generated from incomplete case or if statements)

hello,I keep getting this warning when Isyn the code.how can i remove  warnings?

the parts of code:

process(clk,reset,clk_external)
    variable  i,s,a,c:int ;variable b:integer;
    variable  out_1,Mes_c_to_v,d,Lnew:int;variable col_index_nonzero:integer range 1 to 2304;
    variable multiple_sign,multiple_sign_0,sign_value_i:integer range 1 downto -1;
    begin 
      if reset ='1' then 
        s:=0;i:=0;multiple_sign:=1;
      else
         if (clk 'event and clk='1' )then
          if i=8 then
           i:=1;s:=0;--multiple_sign:=1;
          else
           i:=i+1;
          end if;
			 else
			 i:=i;
         end if;
         s:=col_each_rowblock(i)+sum-1;
         b:=(col_each_rowblock(i)+sum-1)-H(i);
          if b>0 then 
            a:=1;
          else
            a:=0;
          end if;
         case a is 
          when 0 => col_index_nonzero := s;
          when others =>col_index_nonzero:=s-96;
         end case;
		   c:=L(col_index_nonzero);
         if i=index then  
          out_1:=out_min_2;
         else
          out_1:=out_min_1;
         end if;
         Mes_c_to_v:=out_1 * sign_value(i)* sign_each_row ;
        --v<=col_index_nonzero;

d:=c-Mes_c_to_v;
         as(i)<=d;col(i)<=col_index_nonzero;
         abs_Mes_v_to_c(i)<=abs(d);
         if d>= 0 then 
	        sign_value_i:=1;
	      else
	        sign_value_i:=-1;
	      end if;
	      multiple_sign_0:=multiple_sign;
	      multiple_sign:=multiple_sign_0*sign_value_i;
	      sign_each_row_new<=multiple_sign;
	      sign_value_new(i)<=sign_value_i;
	      Mes_v_to_c(i)<=d;

--end if;

end if;
    end process;  

warnings:

left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.
WARNING:Xst:647 - Input <L<2048:2304>> is never used. This port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.
WARNING:Xst:646 - Signal <Mes_v_to_c> is assigned but never used. This unconnected signal will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_3>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_4>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_5>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <sign_each_row_new>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_6>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_7>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_8>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_1>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_2>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_3>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_4>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_5>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_6>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_7>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <col_8>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_1>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <as_2>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0000>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0001>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0002>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0003>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0004>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0005>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0006>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 2-bit latch for signal <$mux0007>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_1>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_2>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_3>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_4>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_5>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_6>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_7>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <Mes_v_to_c_8>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_1>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_2>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_3>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_4>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_5>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_6>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_7>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 13-bit latch for signal <abs_Mes_v_to_c_8>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: warning in ISE(latches maybe generated from incomplete case or if statements)

Several coding error in here (of course).  Note:  I am not a VHDL user, I am only addressing the errors so grievous that even a Verilog user can detect them.

process(clk,reset,clk_external)

This defines a clocked process.  Is it not true that the only signals belonging in the sensitivity list of a clocked process are the clock and (if any) asynchronous set/reset?  If so, then why is clk_external  in the process sensitivity list?

if reset ='1' then
   s:=0;i:=0;multiple_sign:=1;
else
   if (clk 'event and clk='1' )then

<some code>

else

The first IF-THEN defines the async reset/set behaviour.

The second IF-THEN is the preamble for all the synchronous logic of the process.  All of the clocked (synchronous) logic immediately follows this second IF-THEN.  After a few lines of code, an ELSE is encountered.  The END IF which follows the ELSE statement effectively ends the clocked process.

The ELSE-END IF is followed with 10s of lines of code, none of which falls within the VHDL constructs of synchronous clocked logic, as I understand VHDL.  Hence the abundance of error messages from the synthesiser.

Either the IF-THEN-ELSE-END IF construct is mangled, or there are 10s of lines of code which need to reside within a properly constructed clocked or combinatorial process.

So...  clean up your code.  It could very well be that my understanding of VHDL structure is entirely mistaken, in which case I profusely apologise and wish to be corrected.

Aside from all this, you also have a few undefined (undeclared) signals in your code.

Based on this thread and your most recent previous thread, you should consider a formal training course in the use of VHDL.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos