UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Spartan 3e starter kit do digital modulation?

Hello!
My topic for my undergrad thesis is to make a digital modulation trainer out from an FPGA. Since we only have Spartan 3e starter kit in school, I have no choice but to use it for my project. Question is, can it handle all the calculations involved in digital modulation? If so, how do I prove it? I need to prove it to my professor so he could approve my topic.
I've heard that the capabilities of the Spartan are limited since it is just a starter kit. However, digital modulation is simply multiplication. You have a sine wave and binary input and you simply multiply both signals. I plan to generate the binary input from the pc (i plan to interface the fpga and the pc via serial port). The sine wave will have to come from the FPGA.
Please let me know if this is a feasible topic. Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Can the Spartan 3e starter kit do digital modulation?

Of course!!!

You can do a lot of things with Starter Kit, but you haven't any on board high speed dac/adc for generatin/getting the incoming signals

In the past I used successfully a 60 Msps ADC 10 bit

0 Kudos
Teacher eilert
Teacher

Re: Can the Spartan 3e starter kit do digital modulation?

Hi,

Yes, you can multiply binary values with a Spartan 3e

Yes, you can calculate the binary values of a sinewave with a Spartan 3e

Yes, you have a RS232 interface on the S3E-Starter kit.

No, multiplying a signal value with a (carrier) sine wave is not digital modulation.

It's digital calculation of an ordinary modulation.

Digital modulation is something like Delta-Modulation where you get a digital bitstream from an (analog) input signal.

What you need is an (analog) comparator, (and a DAC if you are using analog values)

Or an ADC so you can do the modulation completely inside the FPGA.

If you are going to feed the already digitized values into the fpga (via RS232) , you can use a simple binary comparator.

The algorithm is completely digital.

No sine waves involved here! No arithmetic on digitized values needed.

That's the difference.

Of course you can do all af this with the S3E-starter kit. (An analog comparator can be added easily, if needed)

The FPGA is big enough for such tasks, and since you are planning to use RS232 speed is no problem.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos