UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

DAC VERILOG CODE for Sinwave Generation using Spartan 3E Stater Kit?

I am a student,i am new to FPGA.

I am learning Verilog Language.I have done some basic experiments on Spartan 3E Kit.

I have been given a task

• To generate Sin waves using ON BOARD DAC(LTC2624)

If possible i have to do so before Tuesday.can anyone help me with coding?

Tahnks,

Vihang Naik,

Student of M.Tech 1,

COE,Pune.

India.

Vihang Naik
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DAC VERILOG CODE for Sinwave Generation using Spartan 3E Stater Kit?

I would suggest that you start first with reading the datasheet for the LTC2624 to understand the interface, followed by the user guide or schematics for the board that you are using to understand how the device is configured and connected to the FPGA and then write the code to implement the interface and output the required digital SIN values.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Project estimate:  1 day for experienced engineer.

Project estimate for inexperienced student:

4 hours to download and install ISE

8 hours to review starter kit "standard" code to understand file structure, pinouts, etc.

3 hours to download, read, and assimilate LTC2624 datasheet

8 hours to learn SPI interface and how it works

2 hours to discover CoreGen, and DDS generator

2 days to learn basics of FSM design, and write successful basic example

2 days to learn basics of ISIM, successfully build and run a small simulation (or skip ISIM, add 2 days to debug time)

1 day to design and implement the code needed to complete the project, to the point the code compiles

1 day to test, debug, re-write, re-test the design

3 hours to document the project for submission to the professor.

Assumptions:

student has basic understanding of what a DAC is and how it works

student knows how to locate, read, and assimilate datasheets

student understands basics of hardware design

student understands enough of Verilog language to complete the task

student understands enough of Veriilog language and ISE to interpret error/warning messages correctly

student has a proper computer, plus skills, to 'manage' and run ISE

student has access to decent facilities (scope, mostly)

Some of these tasks will take longer, some shorter.  Some are concurrent with others.

this list, including the list of sub-tasks, is incomplete.  there are unknown problems which will arise (e.g. disk crash)

Does your course work include project planning?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Newbie carcelero

hello I am an academic user (student)   ,  sorry for intruding with another topic, but , I can not find what I'm looking for

I am working with spartan3e . A stage of my project needs to generatE a signal with frequency = 1 to 2 MHZ.

I need to generate a signal with dds (direct digital synthesis)  method . That signal is taken out of DAC LTC2624 (A,B,C,or D) and introduced in a block (PCB),

MY QUESTION IS,,, iS POSIBLE TO GENERATE A WAVEFORM WITH FREQUENCY = 1Mhz,TAKEN OUT OF THE DAC,,CONSIDERING THE 50 Mhz CLOCK ONBOARD?

THANKS

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi

Some Expert will answer your query.

50 Mhz CLOCK ONBOARD? What do you mean ?

I guess  1 to 2 MHZ can be generated using DCM. Under that frequecny generate a waveform   inside the FPGA and then

send it to DAC .Whats is the frequency of DAC ?

Faisal

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Carcelero,

A stage of my project needs to generatE a signal with frequency = 1 to 2 MHZ.

Your system will need to generate and convert data at a minimum of double the signal frequency you desire.  Read up on the concept "nyquist limit".

I need to generate a signal with dds (direct digital synthesis)  method.

No problem.  Do you understand how DDS works?

That signal is taken out of DAC LTC2624...

Have you read the LTC2624 datasheet?

iS POSIBLE TO GENERATE A WAVEFORM WITH FREQUENCY = 1Mhz

The realistic answer is NO, and it has almost nothing to do with the 50MHz fabric clock frequency on the FPGA.  The problem is the LTC2624 DAC.  Look at its settling time. Look at the maximum serial bit frequency for data transfer.  Look at the minimum number of serial clock cycles for transferring a single data value.

Bottom line:  this DAC is too slow (conversion as well as data transfer) for 2MHz output sinewave.

Ignoring settling time (this cannot be ignored, actually), data transfer alone will barely permit 1MHz output (and only a sinewave, nothing more complex).  When you add a reasonable reconstruction filter to the DAC output to filter sampling frequency noise, you are unlikely to be happy with the analogue output result.

As a student, you need to understand WHY the DAC is too slow.  Then you will know enough to select a proper DAC for your application.  You haven't mentioned signal distortion, amplitude, linearity, or noise requirements.  You need to learn what these attributes mean, in order to design a proper sampled system.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Pfaisalbe,

Your reply to this thread doesn't make any sense.  This might be misleading to someone who doesn't understand why your post doesn't make sense.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos