UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer zfima
Observer

Double buffering on Spartan3

Hello

I have working system that takes picture and show it on LCD

From list of pictures i can build  play list on PC and send it to FPGA.

Now, i want make double buffering - when one picture shows on LCD, prepare other in 3 blocks of RAM

I read pdf from http://www.datasheetarchive.com/datasheet-pdf/078/DSAE0072579.html, but i didnt know how to do this....

Question - how to do this?

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Observer zfima
Observer

Re: Double buffering on Spartan3

Maybe i ask too much, so if someone can, pls give me some direction.... or something

thanks

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

zfima wrote:

Maybe i ask too much, so if someone can, pls give me some direction.... or something

thanks

There's a lot going on here -- you need, at the least, a state machine to handle writing to the buffers, and another which handles reading the buffers and driving the display. (Hint: dual-port.)

This is somewhat complicated but fairly straightforward.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Observer zfima
Observer

Thank you for answer

I use 3 blocks of "Simple Dual Port RAM" for R,G and B

Now, i have 17 used blocks from 20, so i have 3 blocks free. So, i use it for implement double buffering.

So, i think i need mux 1 bit control, that every time change output. Something, like in picture:

dbuf

It is good direction of my thought?

thanks

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

Other solution  for double buffering - increase each buffer twice as much and use MSB of address bus for switching between

memory regions. I use this approach in my last design with DPRAM, but not for Video application. 

-- Regards, Victor 

Message Edited by kurgan on 01-12-2010 04:32 AM
0 Kudos