UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

EDK xps MPMC constraint

Jump to solution

There is an existing microblaze design to which I need to add an extra mpmc to support a second separate block of DDR2. Got to point where XPS will generate a new netlist without errors, but was expecting additional constraints for this mpmc - LOC, RLOC etc to be added to the system.ucf file, however nothing has appeared.

Does this require an additional step or have I missed something?

##Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: EDK xps MPMC constraint

Jump to solution

@hillipsrb

That should be correct.

You can double check if DDR2 pins are listed in "ports" tab "external ports" section and if the netlist and bitgen are completed , you can verify the .pad report  for the memory pinouts.

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@hillipsrb

Do you use static phy or MIG phy?

If it is integarted MIG flow the pinout and constraints information are located in
<EDK_Project_Dir>/__xps/mig/gui/*/user_design/par/*.ucf.

I would suggest you to go through "MIG/MPMC Tool Flow" section of below DS643 for more details

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/mpmc/v6_06_a/mpmc.pdf

Hope this helps

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Vanitha,

Thanks for very prompt reply. I can't answer your question about static v. MIG, as the mpmc was added by using XPS with a drag-and-drop as described in a Silica youtube video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBSF2x482r4

(Silica are an authorised UK Xilinx dist. so it seems likely that the video is accurate).

I was hoping/expecting that XPS would automatically generate constraints where needed - there is a comment on p43 of the document DS643 'The EDK XPS tool manages this process, when using the integrated MIG GUI Flow, by managing the MIG UCFconstraints automatically after MIG pinout selection.' but maybe this is wrong?

##Robert

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@hillipsrb

That should be correct.

You can double check if DDR2 pins are listed in "ports" tab "external ports" section and if the netlist and bitgen are completed , you can verify the .pad report  for the memory pinouts.

-Vanitha

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Vanitha,

I've checked that the ports are listed in the external section under the ports tab in XPS but having seached the whole of the EDK project folder tree, there has not been any additional constraints generated for the new mpmc so I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe this has to be done separately. DS643 talks about running MIG and then importing the constraints into XPS so I guess I'll need to look further into that. I guess this makes sense in a way because until the actual FPGA pins for the phy are selected, presumably it's not possible to generate any constraints.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

##Robert

0 Kudos