UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer 08220158
Observer

FIFO

HI everybody,

I have a query on FIFO generation, Please guide me...

I has to generate a FIFO which can store a 1024 locations and also while the next block to the FIFO, FFT reads the data from FIFO then a new samples will arrive into that FIFO. I have selected the wire depth of 1024 but while i was selecting the  "Single Programmable Full threshold constant"  and the i have selected "Full Threshold Assert value" , which i want to set it as 1024 ,but its range is 3 to 1021 which 3 locations less than what i needed.   Can anybody guide me ,please...............

Regards,

Shariff.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: FIFO

Shariff,

Why not decode the data_count output from the FIFO?

The LogiCore FIFO datasheet (DS317) explicitly mentions that there are limitations on the range of programmable threshold levels.  These limits may be based on available logic (for the Built-In FIFO) or logic/pipeline delays (if the threshold level is too close to the size (or "full" level) of the FIFO.  This is merely speculation on my part.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Advisor joelby
Advisor

If you only need to know when the 1024 word FIFO is completely full, don't bother with the programmable threshold - use the "full" signal.

Alternatively, if your samples arrive constantly, could you use the streaming FFT interface and avoid the need for a FIFO?

0 Kudos
Observer 08220158
Observer

Thanks for your reply,

But i am using FIFO and then FFT (Pipe line streaming).I want ot use FIFO which can store 1024 samples or more.I have generated it from xilinx core generator but with 1021 samples lenght.So please tell me how can i generate 1024 or more samples from it. Is it just by selecting the write width to 2058, i did so, then it has allowed me to select the 2053 samples?is it correct way or any other way.

Regards

shariff

0 Kudos
Observer 08220158
Observer

Thanks for your reply,

I like to know is that a better option to take an datacount output, As while the FIFO has reached 1024 then FFT starts reading it and simultaneously next 1024 samples may also appear in the FIFO, soit might be little more than 1024, i cant expect exact value.it will be more than 1024 samples.After storing 1024 samples then with the help of Programmable flag FFT can start read from it ,mean while FIFO stores next coming saples,Ok. I am using FIFO and then FFT (Pipe line streaming).I want ot use FIFO which can store 1024 samples or more.I have generated it from xilinx core generator but with 1021 samples lenght.So please tell me how can i generate 1024 or more samples from it. Is it just by selecting the write width to 2058, i did so, then it has allowed me to select the 2053 samples?is it correct way or any other way.

Regards

shariff

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

I want ot use FIFO which can store 1024 samples or more

You can configure the FIFO as large as the target FPGA and the FIFO wizard will support.

If you need a FIFO to store 1236 samples, a larger FIFO (2048 samples, for example) should not cause any problems whatsoever.  Your write logic can fill the FIFO to whatever depth you would like to configure.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Observer 08220158
Observer

Thanks for your reply, i will try it....
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If the sample storing logic (i.e. writing to the FIFO) and the FFT (reading from the FIFO) are using the same clock, a dual port (DP) RAM should be all you need. You can divide a 2048-word DP RAM into two 1024-word ping-pong buffers and have the writing and reading logic work on the buffers alternatively.

@08220158 wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

I like to know is that a better option to take an datacount output, As while the FIFO has reached 1024 then FFT starts reading it and simultaneously next 1024 samples may also appear in the FIFO, soit might be little more than 1024, i cant expect exact value.it will be more than 1024 samples.After storing 1024 samples then with the help of Programmable flag FFT can start read from it ,mean while FIFO stores next coming saples,Ok. I am using FIFO and then FFT (Pipe line streaming).I want ot use FIFO which can store 1024 samples or more.I have generated it from xilinx core generator but with 1021 samples lenght.So please tell me how can i generate 1024 or more samples from it. Is it just by selecting the write width to 2058, i did so, then it has allowed me to select the 2053 samples?is it correct way or any other way.

Regards

shariff

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor lakshman4611
Visitor

@08220158 :   hii even my project is the same...but i m doing radix2 burst i/o.. can u tell me hw did u get away with the problem? if possible can u share fifo code... plz its urgent.. Thanks 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

fifo_fft

hello i too need the same design help me out its urgently needed

0 Kudos