UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer vijji148
Observer

FPGA configuration reset

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using spartan 6 XC6SLX45  FPGA. During configuration process, when PROG_B asserted (pulled it to low), FPGA configuration is in reset mode. By mistake if I forgot to assert the PROG_B while doing configuration what will happen ? I want to know exactly what is happening during configuration of the fpga from spi flash, and the significance of the config signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

vijji  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Re: FPGA configuration reset

Jump to solution

You've read UG380 (Spartan 6 Configuration Guide), right?

PROG_B is how you initiate configuration. PROG_B is taken low and then taken high. This low->high transition starts the configuration sequence. If the FPGA is the master, it will generate the CCLK and start clocking in configuration data.

If the FPGA is not the master then another device must provide the clock to the FPGA on the configuration port so that the configuration data can be clocked in.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the FPGA being in configuration reset mode.

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
8 Replies

Jump to solution

holding program_b low will delay the configuration and will not begin until you assert this pin

0 Kudos
Observer vijji148
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response @kkn .

When program_b low, SPI flash is programming at the same time FPGA is in reset mode. Is there any reason FPGA to be in reset mode 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

What configuration mode is your FPGA-SPI pair? Is the FPGA mastering the SPI (i.e. providing the clock) or is the clock for the SPI being driven by a different clock?

If the FPGA is mastering then if PROG_B is low then it won't be generating the CCLK, so no configuration data will be passed between the two.

----------
0 Kudos
Observer vijji148
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you @hgleamon1 for your response.

The clock to SPI is providing from FT2232H not from FPGA.  

0 Kudos
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

Does the FT2232H also provide the configuration clock to the FPGA?

A diagram of what is going on could be useful.

My expectation is that if PROG_B is held low while the SPI is outputting data then the FPGA will not configure. If the FPGA is correctly powered and the signals are within the electrical limits of the FPGA pins then nothing bad will happen.

----------
0 Kudos
Observer vijji148
Observer

Jump to solution

Actual my doubt is, when PROG_B is asserted and FPGA configuration is in reset mode, then how will asserting PROG_B begin configuration?

0 Kudos
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

You've read UG380 (Spartan 6 Configuration Guide), right?

PROG_B is how you initiate configuration. PROG_B is taken low and then taken high. This low->high transition starts the configuration sequence. If the FPGA is the master, it will generate the CCLK and start clocking in configuration data.

If the FPGA is not the master then another device must provide the clock to the FPGA on the configuration port so that the configuration data can be clocked in.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the FPGA being in configuration reset mode.

----------
Observer vijji148
Observer

Jump to solution

I gone through UG380 (Spartan 6 Configuration Guide).

Now, I understood . Thank you so much for your response @hgleamon1.

Resetting the FPGA configuration (triggers Configuration memory initialization).  

0 Kudos