cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Galvanic isolation for LVDS I/Os (ISERDES/OSERDES xapp1064)

Hello,

I would like to implement a similar topology to the presented in the XAPP1064 to establish a fast point-to-point communication between two (and more) Spartan-6 devices. The problem I have is that both FPGAs are to be placed in different boards and connected with a cable (twisted pair ~3 m). For this I will need some sort of galvanic isolation.

The only solution I could find was the AN-1117 application note of Analog Devices, which is limited to 150 Mbps and it is quite slow for my needs. I was thinking about using magnetic isolation, as the one specified in the Ethernet standard, but a clock-forwarding form of communication will have potentially static lines (eg. data line when more 1s or 0s are transmitted together) which will make the communication impossible (this magnetic isolatin is thought for a manchester code clk-data combined line).

I cannot use GTPs because there will be many of these point-to-point connections, exceeding what can be found in the T series devices. A data rate to achieve per data line would be 250 Mbps.

Does anybody have any idea how this could be done?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Galvanic isolation for LVDS I/Os (ISERDES/OSERDES xapp1064)

Do you need to separate (isolate) grounds?  If so, then galvanic isolation (which includes simple AC coupling) is not a precise enough term.

Use a gig-E ethernet PHY with magnetic coupler on each end.  Simple!  An RGMII interface to the PHY is simple, compact, and well within the capabilities of Spartan-6 family devices.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can think of using LVDS with DC isolation capacitors coupling. Take care common mode voltage matching and recommending to do simulations

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I'm been trying to make a new post, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Beceause of the topic similarity I will put a question here...

Is it possible to assume the unused pin area between the IO banks of Spartan 6 LX150 as galvanic isolation?

Is there any posibility to configure some IO ports in order to serve as galvanic separation between specifed IO regions?

Best regards,

Emil

0 Kudos