UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

HDMI i/o example for Digilent Spartan 6

H!

Following link provides a explanation of TMDS video Interface in the spartan 6 FPGA

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp495_S6TMDS_Video_Interface.pdf

At the end of the PDF, it has provided a design file for DVI Transmitter/Receiver.

https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/clickthrough.do?cid=154258

My question is is this design DVI protocol or HDMI protocol??  I am bit confused. Can we use HDMI physical port for DVI Tansmission and reception as well??

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: HDMI i/o example for Digilent Spartan 6

HDMI ports are backwards compatible with DVI signalling.  For instance you should be able to send DVI signals over an HDMI cable to an HDMI display and it should work.

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your reply.

But what if i neeed to receive HDMI data from a say a GPU, then it will not work right?? What is the difference??

what parts will i have to change eg: decoding etc.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

athukoralakasun wrote:

But what if i neeed to receive HDMI data from a say a GPU, then it will not work right?? What is the difference??

what parts will i have to change eg: decoding etc.

HDMI is a specification for

• electrical characteristics, including signal levels
  • mechanical form factor (connectors) and pinout
  • signaling protocols and formats and encoding

Any signal source must conform to these specification requirements in order to be labeled 'HDMI'.

With this understanding, what is the nature of your concern?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

I need to study and impliment a HDMI receiver/Transmitter.

And i found a example code on this pdf

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp495_S6TMDS_Video_Interface.pdf

That document explains the use of TMDS. And speaks about DVI and HDMI as if they are very similar.

So i am wondering whether i can use the same reference design given in the document.

" HDMI is a specification for

• electrical characteristics, including signal levels
  • mechanical form factor (connectors) and pinout
  • signaling protocols and formats and encoding   "

So where does the DVI and HDMI is differentiated??

thank you.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

@athukoralakasun wrote:
So where does the DVI and HDMI is differentiated??

DVI-D does not provide for embedded audio or other 'ancillary' data.

HDMI does provide for embedded audio and other 'anc' data in the intervals between active video transmission.

For your purposes, this is the biggest distinction between DVI-D and HDMI.  The connector differences are easily overcome with off-the-shelf adapters.

You really should read through the HDMI 1.3a specification, which is available for download (without charge) from the HDMI consortium website.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos

Thanks for taking your time to reply me.

I downloaded the HDMI 1.3a specification. i'll go through it.

0 Kudos
Visitor samssmarm
Visitor

what if a HDMI(video data + audio/aux data) signal connect to digilent altys hdmi demo board? capture video data and discard audio/aux data? or malfunction?

0 Kudos
Visitor sphalde
Visitor

Hi all,

I am new to the FPGA world. I have the Spartan-6 Atlys board. I am working on Lane reversal for HDMI port. As we know, it has Data2+-, Data1+-, Data0+- and Clk+-. So I want to connect Data0+ to Clk+ and Data2+ to Data1+ and same way for Data- signals. Can somebody help me to achieve this? 

0 Kudos