cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

HDMI input on Spartan

I am in the process of evaluating fpgas to take HDMI input and then run a pretty simple color matching algorithm on it. I am trying to find the minimum requriements for an FPGA to take HDMI input. I have seen it done with the Spartan 6 so I'm curious to see if anyone knows if it can be done with a smaller and cheaper FPGA? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: HDMI input on Spartan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: HDMI input on Spartan

I noticed that Scarab Hardware has a Spartan 3A board with an HDMI output.  I'm not sure why you couldn't do HDMI input on that part.  Perhaps they just don't have memory for a frame buffer on board.  As far as I know, you just need the right kind of signalling (TMDS33 ?) and I/O that's fast enough to capture the bit rate.  Newer parts with ISERDES make this easier.  As for cheaper than Spartan 6, I'm not sure but the smallest Artix may be the cheapest FPGA device currently available from Xilinx.  The smallest Spartan 6 is pretty cheap, too.  Whether it works for you may depend more on a frame buffer interface than the HDMI part.  I seem to recall that the smallest packages don't support a memory controller.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos