UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware connection

Hey all
I am working to be able to show an image to a screen connected to the HDMI output from Digilent Atlys Spartan 6 FPGA Board
my question is :
Am I forced to connect a camera or any source to the HDMI input to show an image to the HDMI output
Or I can download an image to the FPGA from the PC and store it in the memory and then show it on the screen and that is what I want in my project
I'm not that good on the Hardware connection so I asked this one
thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Re: Hardware connection

Hi,

of course, the picture contents can be generated inside the FPGA.

Reading out some Framebuffer memory is a very straightforward idea.

But not even that is required for test purposes.

With a bunch of counters you can generate test patterns that put some colour/greyscale bars on the screen.

If you want to download some image to the FPGA (or connected memory)  from your host PC there's some very simple solution:

Use the PCs (second) HDMI output and connect it to the boards HDMI input.

Store the data you receive in memory and read it out again to see it via the boards HDMI output on some attached screen.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

hey @eilert

thanks very much for your reply
like I said I'm not that much on the hardware connection
your point is that I have to connect the HDMI output from the PC to the HDMI input in th board
and then download the program or design from the PC that help me to show the HDMI
and then connect the HDMI output from the board to another screen
Is that right ?
any help would be greatly appreciated..

0 Kudos
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Hi,

on the Atlys board you have separate HDMI in and HDMI out ports.

So connecting the HDMI In to a PC/Laptop and the HDMI out to some monitor is no big deal.

Just plug in the cables and never touch them anymore.

Via the USB download cable you can program the FPGA, as usual.

So, why did I encourage you to use the HDMI In, you may ask.

Because it is the fastest and most convenient interface for your purpose.

I could have told you about using some UART, which is simpler in some way but takes forever to load a picture to the board.

The most complex part might be the memory interface, in case you have to use the external DDR-SDRAM.

The BlockRAMs inside the FPGA shouldn't be wasted as a Framebuffer, if they have enough space for your purpose at all.

The example projects for the ATLYS board should provide you with all the important IP cores (HDMI-In and -Out and Memory controller) that you need for your project. However, it is up to you to put them together in a way that suits your needs. But you don't have to start from scratch , still you need to read a lot ot understand how everything works togeter.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @eilert
thanks again for your reply
I want to mention that I read allll the Forums that talk about the HDMI , but still find it too complex to me
last question>>> I want to take the image from the PC using the HDMI on the PC and download it to the FPGA using the HDMI in on the board
but when I do this connection there is nothing appear on my PC that tell me which image i want to download ,, is there is a missing step here ,, is there a special program I have to use to complete the download ,, I know its a stupid question to you but I really want to make all the thing clear to me
thanks
0 Kudos
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Hi,

sorry that I have to ask this:

Is this just some kind of joke or prank you are playing on the forum?

Your question lacks any knowledge of PC architecture and common sense.

What exactly are you studying?

Don't you know that the HDMI plug is connected to the graphics adapter of your PC?

It just pushes out the screen image 60 times a second.

(You might have to enable it and select wether the display should clone or expand the view of the primary display, if you use the secondary connector.)

Your former posts show tht you have worked with the system generator.

That's the wrong tool for this assignment.

You need to know about VHDL and/or verilog to deal with the problems you are facing.

Do you have (sufficient) knowledge of at least one of these languages?

If not, drop the assignment.

According to the progress you made over the last month on finding out what HDMI means and how to deal with it I see no chance that you can come to a useful result within reasonable time. (Not to mention that the deadline you have posted before is already over.)

Sorry again, but I think you should have some counselling interview to find out about your skills and carreer opportunities. Maybe you just chose the wrong topic for your assignment.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos