UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dhahar
Visitor

Help on ADC SPARTAN3E using LM35

Hi All, help me on my project using spartan3e ADC with LM35 for temperature sensing, can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it, or even source code?thx before

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: Help on ADC SPARTAN3E using LM35

my project using spartan3e ADC with LM35

Is this a standard development board, or a custom board design?

can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it

What is "it" that you want to do?

or even source code?

There is reference code available for download, for standard development boards.  You can start with one of these example designs, and customise the code for your purposes.  We can help with debugging here and there, but you have responsibility for writing the code, simulating, reading the datasheets, testing, etc. etc.

Is this your first try at FPGA design?  Are you a student?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor dhahar
Visitor

i just want the spartan3e to get the output voltage from LM35, and displaying it to the LCD with converted value, from voltage to temperature on Celcius degrees.

it's a standard board.

maybe the source code for displaying output voltage from lm35, but i don't understand if i'm using the picoblaze example because it's too complicated. I just want to displaying the temperature.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

How much of this project do you think you understand well enough to write the code yourself?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor dhahar
Visitor

sorry, but nothing on adc.

and i'm a student.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

If you're starting from scratch, you'll likely benefit much more from working with your instructor, face to face, than by exchanging little tidbits of information on a user forum.

There is lots of information on Spartan-3E Starter Kit designs in these forums, especially for the LCD, the ADC, and the programmable gain amplifier.  A forum search should turn up many threads for you to slog through.  Many of them presume you have some working knowledge of an high-level design language and the workings of electronic components.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Visitor dhahar
Visitor

anyone can give step by step to make program on spartan3e take some input from adc and make an output, according to voltage input? maybe using DAC, i just desperate on my final project T.T

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

not a school, not a design service

anyone can give step by step to make program on spartan3e take some input from adc and make an output, according to voltage input? maybe using DAC, i just desperate on my final project T.T

These forums are not a carte blanche web-based design service or vocational school.  They are not well-suited for these purposes.  Providing a semester of instruction through bits and pieces of forum posts written by volounteers cannot replace a verbal, interactive discussion with labs and equipment which is organised and prepared by a qualified instructor.

These forums don't work well for broad problems such as "walk me through my design step by step".  This is a role your instructor should fill, providing face-to-face interaction, with personal guidance and support.

These forums are much better suited for specific, detailed questions.  There is much useful information to be found in these forums, but it is your task to find the information and sort through it, asking specific questions along the way.

Again... suggest you consult your instructor for instruction and guidance.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@dhahar wrote:

Hi All, help me on my project using spartan3e ADC with LM35 for temperature sensing, can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it, or even source code?thx before

The Spartan 3E FPGA does not have an on-chip ADC, so you're probably outta luck.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

The Spartan 3E FPGA does not have an on-chip ADC, so you're probably outta luck.

I'm just guessing, but this fellow might be using the Spartan-3e starter kit board with onboard ADC.

The problem with starter kits is that some people think they are so simple that even a newbie can use it without studying logic design, datasheets, design software, reading the fine manual, and other "stuff".  It takes effort, more effort than learning to bake cake from a mix.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

"more effort than learning to bake cake from a mix."

Which seems to be beyond the expected level of application shown by some of the posters in these forums...
;-)

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@eteam00 wrote:

I'm just guessing, but this fellow might be using the Spartan-3e starter kit board with onboard ADC.

I hate guessing. My wife makes me do it all the time. At least I know her and can read her mind, as opposed to some random Internet forum poster.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos