UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bmarkey
Visitor

IO standard for 62MHz 9-bit wide backplane

Hello;

I am trying to migrate a Spartan 3 design using GTLP to Spartan 6 and am wondering if anyone has used the HSTL or SSTL IO standards across a standard parallel backplane.  Obviously Xylinx is pushing GBT but at the data rate I am running that is overkill and I would have to reconnectorize the backplane interface.  Since support is closed today I decided to see if anyone here is working today. 

Here are my thoughts on approaches:

CMOS-pusing the limits on speed with 5 boards on the bus and 62 MHz rate with 9 parallel bits of data.  May work but would be noisy and SSO requirements may limit practicality

SSTL-designed for memory interface but may provide enough current for my application

HSTL-similar to SSTL but a higher current is available, may be required for my application due to low loaded impedance, probably close to 40 ohms.

Thanks for any input you have.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Re: IO standard for 62MHz 9-bit wide backplane

Do you have to use parallel ?

A differential pair using the IOSERDES of the spartan 6 would be fast. 

Not certain about Gunning logic over a backplane, the terminatino could be interesting varied depending upon the amount of boards plugged in.

I've a 144 GTL+ bit bus running at 130 MHz around 6  Virtex chips on a board running very well.

Do you have the capability to go differential ?

do you want a true bus , i.e. any to any, or is it one to many ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: IO standard for 62MHz 9-bit wide backplane

Have you considered PCI buffers at 62MHz?
0 Kudos