UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor palvarez
Visitor

Interfacing a clipped sine wave TCXO with Spartan6

Jump to solution

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone know of a simple, nice and clean way of interfacing a standard clipped sine wave oscillator to an Spartan6?

Thanks for your help

Pablo 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Interfacing a clipped sine wave TCXO with Spartan6

Jump to solution

Pablo,

I do not know (if it will drive the input, through a 50 ohm pcb trace).  Try it.  Measure it with a 'scope.

If the singal is centered around ground (going both + and -), you will have to capacitively cuople it, and bias it to 1/2 Vcco of the IO bank before applying it to an input.   Split 100K resistors, one to Vcco, one to ground, willbias the input to mid-range.  Vref is then set to 1/2 Vcco from a simialr split resistor network, with a decoupling capacitor to ground on each Vref pins all connected together for the bank (even though you use only one input).

No, I do not suggest termining the signal (the sinewave clock does not need a termination).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Pablo,

Use the SSTL or HSTL input with a Vref set at 1/2 the signal.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor palvarez
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick answer Austin!

I was thinking of that, but in standard TCXOs clipped sinewave outputs are normally specified as "10k // 10pF, Decoupled". Do you think it can drive the 50Ohm SSTL termination?

Pablo 

0 Kudos
Visitor palvarez
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Austin,

I guess you propose not to use the internal OPTIONAL termination.

Thanks in any case for the help

pablo  

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Pablo,

I do not know (if it will drive the input, through a 50 ohm pcb trace).  Try it.  Measure it with a 'scope.

If the singal is centered around ground (going both + and -), you will have to capacitively cuople it, and bias it to 1/2 Vcco of the IO bank before applying it to an input.   Split 100K resistors, one to Vcco, one to ground, willbias the input to mid-range.  Vref is then set to 1/2 Vcco from a simialr split resistor network, with a decoupling capacitor to ground on each Vref pins all connected together for the bank (even though you use only one input).

No, I do not suggest termining the signal (the sinewave clock does not need a termination).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor palvarez
Visitor

Jump to solution

Now everything is clear. 

Thanks again for the recipe ;)

pablo 

0 Kudos