UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dcm_lab
Visitor

Measure the clock frequency of Spartan-6 FPGA

Hi, Is there a way to measure the clock frequency of the FPGA? What I mean is I am currently using my FPGA for a project and I read somewhere that the FPGA clock has an inaccuracy of +/-50 ppm. I have increased the clock frequency to 150 MHz and I guess it means the clock inaccuracy is tripled as well. So I think the clock cycle is not exactly 150 MHz. But how do I measure it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Measure the clock frequency of Spartan-6 FPGA

The inaccuracy is a function of the oscillator on your board.  The FPGA itself does not generate a clock.  If you triple the frequency, the error will be three times as large, but since the frequency is three times as large, the error expressed in ppm should still be the same.  Depending on how you triple the frequency (DCM vs PLL) the jitter may increase, but that's another topic. 

All you need to measure the frequency is a good frequency counter.  They can be pricey,so if you are a college student, take your board to an electronics lab.  Forward the clock from your FPGA to the counter (AC couple it) and see what it says.  The time base in good test equipment will be better than the oscillator on your board, so you should get a pretty good idea.

No frequency counter?  You need a very accurate, stable clock signal.  You might be able to get one out of some GPS equipment.  Multiply it up to your oscillator frequency and find a way to compare the two.The old fashioned way is turn them into sine waves and mix them, then look at the beat frequency. 

A fairly easy digital approach is to run two long counters, say 48 or 64 bits each, one off of each clock and stop them when one rolls over and compare the counts.

0 Kudos

I use the following design rules when creating my boards:

• minimise the number of independent oscillators on the board (or in the system).
  • have clocks traceable to least two independent oscillators going to each FPGA on the board.

The second rule means that I can always compare the frequency ratios of at least two clocks inside each FPGA during manufacturing tests.

I thought about using the internal configuration clock as a reference (hey, it's free!), but it doesn't have the accuracy I require.

EDIT: I also try to ensure there is at least one reasonably accurate oscillator on each board.  TXCOs with initial tolerances better than +/- a few ppm are small, low powered, cheap and readily available (thank you, mobile phone driven technology).

EDIT2: with regard to the oscillator tolerance required for Ethernet, the IEEE802.3 specification does say +/- 100ppm in a number of places.  It also says that frames can be at most (about) 1.5kB long. The clock rate adjustment circuit in each Ethernet Rx port needs to deal with +/- (2 * 100ppm * 1500Bytes/frame) = +/- 0.3 Bytes per frame, and many circuits I've encountered happily deal with that but may have issues dealing with adjustments greater than +/- 1 Byte per frame.

These days (or even a decade ago), you probably want to have network interfaces that support (9kB) jumbo frames.  Consider that +/- (2 * 100ppm * 9kB/frame) = +/- 1.8B / frame.  This may upset many rate adjustment circuits.  One solution is to use clocks with a much tighter tolerance than the w.c. value the IEEE specify.  I usually use +/- 20ppm (or tighter if I have a TXCO) for Ethernet.

0 Kudos
Visitor dcm_lab
Visitor

Hi @bruce_karaffa, thank you for your reply. The way I have tried to do is get the clock output from one of the IO pins on the board and connect it to oscilloscope. Is that different or maybe gives less accurate measure than what you are suggesting?

0 Kudos

@dcm_lab

You have to realize that the difference between 150 MHz and 150.0075 MHz (150 + 50 ppm) is less than a picosecond.  You need to integrate over a fairly long period to differential the two.  An oscilloscope won't show you such small differences unless it has a good built in frequency counter.  If your scope can display a frequency, how many digits of precision does it show? 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

in the DCM IP we give the max phase error and jitter numbers based on the DCM setup and the input clock error, so you should look at that. That value is based on the clock being routed internally on the device, if you start to output it to an IO then you may see more as you introduce noise from external sources and also move the clock in to the VCCO voltage domain to output it so noise on that rail can affect it as well.

The internal clock is influenced by VCCINT and VCCAUX so noise on those rails can impact clock quality, why exactly are you trying to measure it, are you trying to debug a problem or just curious?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos