UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor lodentoni1
Visitor

Multiboot with Spartan 6

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a problem with programming multiboot designs to a configuration flash. The issue is, to generate a fallback design with a single multiboot design. I am using a XC6LX45T with an 128MBit SPI Flash and ISE 13.2 with Windows 7.

In the properties dialog of "Generate Programming File" in the fallback / golden design, I activate "Place MultiBoot Settings into Bitstream" an set "-g next_config_addr" to 0x200000. The "-g golden_config_addr" value is 0x0, i hope this is set automatically, because i don't know the length of the header. "-g next_config_new_mode" must be set, else ISE return an error while generating the bitfile. "-g next_config_boot_mode" is set to 001, i hope this is the setting for 1x SPI.

In the master / multiboot design i do not activate these options. Only "-g reset_on_error" is active.

With impact i generate a prom file with two revisions. The first was the golden bitfile and the second was the master bitfile with an offset 0x200000. Programming fails because DONE does not rise high.

My question is, is this the right design flow for multiboot designs? Is there anything else to know? Is there a mor detailed documentation than ug380?

with best regards, lodentoni

P.S. Configuring the fpga with singleboot designs out of the flash works without problems.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer eemeli
Observer

Re: Multiboot with Spartan 6

Jump to solution

Hi Lodentoni,

It looks to me that you have the same problem I had. Bitgen seems to clear SPI read command, which should be placed in the highest byte of the next config address. To overcome this problem, please add the SPI read command to to bitgen script as follows

"-g next_config_addr" to 0x200000

"-g next_config_addr" to 0x03200000

"-g golden_config_addr" 0x0

"-g golden_config_addr" 0x03000044"

Rgds,

Janne

PS: I have reported this bug to Xilinx and it will be fixed to ISE 13.3

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Observer eemeli
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Lodentoni,

It looks to me that you have the same problem I had. Bitgen seems to clear SPI read command, which should be placed in the highest byte of the next config address. To overcome this problem, please add the SPI read command to to bitgen script as follows

"-g next_config_addr" to 0x200000

"-g next_config_addr" to 0x03200000

"-g golden_config_addr" 0x0

"-g golden_config_addr" 0x03000044"

Rgds,

Janne

PS: I have reported this bug to Xilinx and it will be fixed to ISE 13.3

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor lodentoni1
Visitor

Jump to solution

Oh yes,

thank you for this hint, that was the problem. I saw it before in the mcs file that this was missing but i didn't mind on this.

Now the multiboot configuration loads. But the fallback configuration only works without the bitgen option "-g reset_on_error" (and an erased multiboot image).

I thought, the reset_on_error option is needed to load the next configuration and increment the strike counter, or what is it for?

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor kevinbo
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the same problem. The fallback only works when the image is erased. When I cancel the update-procedure before finishing he didn't detect it. Is there any solution?

Kevin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor buyukcolako
Visitor

Jump to solution

hello;

I'm new with the spartan 6 platform.(I used 3e 1+ year soi'm  familiar with the softwares ISE and EDK)
I want to use moltiboot functionality of spartan 6. This issue was very helpfull for me, this topic cleared many questions in my head. I still have some questions though. In spartan 3e i used multiboot only once with a template provided by ISE. It had a port named MBT(multiboot triger). In spartan 6 i didn't understand how i can trigger a multiboot event.  In shot i need some detailed explanations about multiboot. I didn't understand the ug380 guide well. Any help is appriciated

Thank you for reading.

Best regards
colak 

0 Kudos
Newbie ezendam

Jump to solution

I found out that the reset_on_error is not encoded in the header of the multiboot, regardless of the setting in the bitstream generator. This means it wil not reboot on a crc-error. Erasing the multiboot will not detect the sync-stream and cause the watchdog to boot from the golden image. Thats why erasing works, but corrupting not.

Now i am stuck with the problem : How to get this reset instruction into the header. Does anyone have figured out a work around?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor rholschbach
Visitor

Jump to solution

I Had the same read speed issue seeing  00 for read cmd,  using spi 1x multiboot with  spartan 6 slx25t and ise 14.4 64bit window, version.  So it appears that it may not have been fixed in version 13.3 or it broke again.

Also I wish I would have run accross this link sooner, so I could have saved some time   I found this link after discovering why the multiboot was not working  and then did a more define search. 

0 Kudos