cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help in Choosing the right FPGA

Hey all, I am planning on starting a project that, in a nutshell, takes an HDMI (or DVI) feed as input, together with a USB mouse as input, and outputs an HDMI (or DVI) video, with a mouse cursor added to the video, which is controlled via the USB mouse.

What is the best  FPGA for the job? from the reading i have done so far, it looks like the spartan 6 is the way to go, any ideas?

thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Re: Need help in Choosing the right FPGA

I'd look towards something newer.The Spartan 6 requires ISE 14.7, which is effectively obsolete. It's no longer being updated and isn't guaranteed to work on Windows 10. Newer chips (7 series and Ultrascale) use Vivado, which is being constantly updated.

The Zynq chips might be quite suitable for you because they've got a dual-core ARM processor that can run Linux, in addition to a substantial FPGA. This makes dealing with a USB mouse (or just about any other USB device supported by Linux) almost trivial. They work with Vivado and the cost isn't really much different to an equivalent FPGA.

The shiny new Zynq Ultrascale+ chips even have a Mali 400 GPU built in, which would make HDMI output very easy. The downside is that Ultrascale+ chips are not exactly available yet (unless you're one of Xilinx's biggest customers), so they're probably not worthwhile unless your project has a pretty long timeline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help in Choosing the right FPGA

Thanks man, I'l do some reading on the models you mentioned later today, and come back with some more questions :)

0 Kudos