UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie siva1234

Need help in logic cpmbatible

Jump to solution

HI ,
I am use "XC6SLX45-2CSG484C" spartan 6 FPGA interface with  PIC32MX110F016B-I/SO(Uart Communication). need to perfom logic compatible with microcontroller(  PIC32MX110F016B-I/SO is transmitter)

because if sinking current goes high the logic combatable will fail with microcontroller .
Data sheet of microcontroller (http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/61168D.pdf) in page 251 the values of Voh Values of the PIC is given. From that when the drive current (microcontroller is transmitter) is above 12mA the logic compatible will fail .

So want to know the max sink current of Fpga in Uart communications . hope it's less then 10mA . Please clarify

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Re: Need help in logic cpmbatible

Jump to solution

@siva1234,

When you configure an IO as input, a CMOS transistor - assuming your IOSTANDARD is LVCMOS33 - would be connected to the pad!. So, it would draw a CMOS transistor gate leakage current from Driver - which is in your case the transmitter pin of PIC controller. This value is a very low current that every transmitter can supply - according to the page 5 of ds162.pdf - it. See below from datasheet:

Leakage.jpg

I should add that DRIVE Strength is applicable to Output pins, not input pin.

So, You do not need to worry about your PIC pin if it can afford leakage current of FPGA pin or not!.

Hope this will help,

Hossein

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

The source/sink current should be very close to zero (microamps). The maximum source/sink currents are irrelevant because you won't be anywhere near those limits.

Newbie siva1234

Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you for reply,

It's applicable for all Interface or UART Alone ??? Because in datasheet(FPGA) nowhere value is given(Iil,Iih or Sink current)

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @siva1234,

On Spartan 6 you can control the output drive strength on a per pin basis (with the DRIVE attribute) roughly between 2mA and 24mA depending on the I/O Standard. LVCMOS12 only supports the 2, 4, 6, 8, and 12 mA DRIVE settings. LVCMOS15 only supports the 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, and 16 mA DRIVE settings.

You can find the details in UG381.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Newbie siva1234

Jump to solution
Hi Herbert,
We can control the output drive strength of FPGA. But I want to know the input value(Sink current) . When Pic is tx and Fpga is receiver the input current (sinking current ) (Iil.Iih) that's my need.
0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Jump to solution

@siva1234,

When you configure an IO as input, a CMOS transistor - assuming your IOSTANDARD is LVCMOS33 - would be connected to the pad!. So, it would draw a CMOS transistor gate leakage current from Driver - which is in your case the transmitter pin of PIC controller. This value is a very low current that every transmitter can supply - according to the page 5 of ds162.pdf - it. See below from datasheet:

Leakage.jpg

I should add that DRIVE Strength is applicable to Output pins, not input pin.

So, You do not need to worry about your PIC pin if it can afford leakage current of FPGA pin or not!.

Hope this will help,

Hossein

View solution in original post

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@siva1234,

I want to know the input value(Sink current).

When Pic is tx and Fpga is receiver the input current (sinking current ) (Iil.Iih) that's my need.

Ah, sorry, that was't obvious to me.

That would be the Input Leakage current (± 15uA), which you can find in DS162, if you are inside the allowed input voltage range for the FPGA pin and do not have any on chip termination enabled.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos
Newbie siva1234

Jump to solution

Thank you guys !!

Now I understand ... :-)

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager