cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ferruscacore

Nexys2 Extra Inputs

Well, I'm trying to control the seven segment displays. To control each display I need four inputs (4 bits) to display the numbers 0, 1, 2.... 9. So I need 16 inputs, because there are four displays, but the nexys2 only has 12 inputs (8 slide switches and 4 buttons)... and that's not enough. I just wanted to know if there is a way to get more inputs or if the displays can share inputs or what can I do?
I have done all the .vhd files to do this (a mux, a frequency divider, etc) but I can't generate the .bit file.

Ps. sorry for the bad english

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eteam00
Professor
Professor

Naaaahhhh.  You only need 2 pushbuttons.

• One pushbutton increments the current digit (with wraparound to 0)
  • The second pushbutton "locks in" the current digit value and "opens" the next digit.

The current "open" digit should be flashing to indicate to the user which digit is "open".

Now....  what are you going to do with the 8 slide switches and 2 extra pushbuttons?

Another suggestion:

• Use the 4 pushbuttons, one for each digit, to increment the value displayed in each digit.
  • Use one slide switch to change/hold the current values.  In "hold" position, pushbuttons are ignored.  In "change" position, all 4 digits flash.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
balaji_coreel
Visitor
Visitor

hi,

You can use xilinx hardware debugging ip core "VIO" ,using that you can generate more number of inputs& outputs to your DUT.

regards

balaji

0 Kudos
ruhix

send digits seperately in four clock cycle 

first clok cycle first digit

second c.c. second digit

human can realize 16 frame second as a moving object therefore at least 16* 4 > per second change in digits

before that you  need to bbinary to decimal converter

0 Kudos
jschimek
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Vio can be used to create Virtual Inputs, but you will be forced to control these pins on a PC via JTAG. This is really a debug tool.

Toggling pins with a pair of pushbuttons is probably your best solution.

-Jon

0 Kudos