Visitor
Visitor

Phantom Input

Jump to solution

Newbie - getting very frustrated

ISE 12.3 Web under Windows XP

Spartan 3E   XCS100E  VQ100 

Schematic entry

After making a somewhat unrelated change to a schematic, the symbol generated has a grown a new phantom input that does not appear on the schematic.  

To elaborate; I have a byte wide register interface to an external microprocessor and I have grouped the addresses, write clock, and direction signal as 'io_ctl(5:0)'.  After correcting an error, in which the address into a decoder was shifted by one bit, when I regenerated the symbol, an additional input 'io_ctl(0)' appeared in addition to 'io_ctl(5:0)'.  There is no such separate input on the schematic.  Naturally, a later process flags this as an error.

I have tried deleting all files except the .sch related to this but to no avail.  

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this and/or what I might have done wrong to have caused it?

Is it sufficient/OK to simply edit this out of the symbol or is that just inviting later confusing problems?

TIA

Bob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi Bob,

there are two ways you can go.

The first one you have already tried, but maybe not thouroughly enough.

There is some file created by ISE that stores the pin informations for symbol creation.

If something went wrong you ned to delete this file and then the symbol creation works properly.

(Unfortunately I don't have the file type in mind yet.)

The other one is to open the wron symbol in the symbol editor and simply delete te unused pin.

Then save it and update your schematic and everything should work.

You may encounter further problems with this only when you try to autogenerate a symbol again from the HDL code if the pin information file is not deleted.

The brute force way would be to create a new project and start from scratch only with the hdl and schematic files.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

View solution in original post

2 Replies
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi Bob,

there are two ways you can go.

The first one you have already tried, but maybe not thouroughly enough.

There is some file created by ISE that stores the pin informations for symbol creation.

If something went wrong you ned to delete this file and then the symbol creation works properly.

(Unfortunately I don't have the file type in mind yet.)

The other one is to open the wron symbol in the symbol editor and simply delete te unused pin.

Then save it and update your schematic and everything should work.

You may encounter further problems with this only when you try to autogenerate a symbol again from the HDL code if the pin information file is not deleted.

The brute force way would be to create a new project and start from scratch only with the hdl and schematic files.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

View solution in original post

swarf_maker
Visitor
Visitor

eilert wrote:

"

Then save it and update your schematic and everything should work."

Thanks, I did that and after clearing up a few more warnings, finally(!!) managed to get through to place and route and to run it successfully.

"The brute force way would be to create a new project and start from scratch only with the hdl and schematic files."

I had already done that once to resolve an earlier similar problem.  I didn't relish doing it again.

0 Kudos