UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Power up and Jtag programming for custom FPGA (XC6SLX16-2FTG256I) using jtag TO usb on board IC (FT2232H)

Hai everyone,

i am trying to make own customized FPGA board based Spartan 6 (XC6SLX16-2FTG256I). i want to know if we make our own customized FPGA board will the ISE tool recognize this board?? we are trying to power up the board as well as program the FPGA through PC via FT2232H FTDI CHIP, What we have to do so that FPGA board will be recognized by XILINX ISE tool ??

i am new in this area kindly help me out

thank you..

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Power up and Jtag programming for custom FPGA (XC6SLX16-2FTG256I) using jtag TO usb on board IC (FT2232H)

Using jtag TO usb on your own board with Spartan 6 (XC6SLX16-2FTG256I) can recognise provided proper driver exists. 

Please refer http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug380.pdf  & https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-s6-sp605-g.html (SP605 example references) for more clarity.   

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Power up and Jtag programming for custom FPGA (XC6SLX16-2FTG256I) using jtag TO usb on board IC (FT2232H)

You can't do it with an off-the-shelf FTDI chip; it requires a custom EEPROM contents to be detected by the Xilinx tools. While you could technically clone this from a Digilent one, that would (a) probably not be legal, and (b) break the rules for USB devices (in that you don't own the USB vendor ID and product ID that you had assigned). Of course, cloning it from a Digilent one would also mean that you had to buy a Digilent one first, which for a one-off board makes it rather pointless.

By far the easiest (and best) option is to fit a Digilent JTAG-SMT2. Even Xilinx does this on their official built-by-Xilinx boards. The SMT2 gives you a complete (official) USB JTAG adaptor, plus all the necessary level conversion, pull-up/down resistors, etc.

0 Kudos