cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

RS 422 IMPLEMENTATION

Hi, I have purchaased Xilinx Spartan 6 LX9 Micro Board.I want to implement RS 422 Protocol in it.i.e it has to take inputs from rs 422 transceiver and has to process it and have to show the data in uart.same procedure for transmitting too.How can it be achievable/

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

First you will need to design and build (I don' t know of any that are available) FMC module that has a RS-422 receiver/driver device on it.  Something like the TI DS89C21 device http://www.ti.com/product/ds89c21

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@venkyyadav325 wrote:

Hi, I have purchaased Xilinx Spartan 6 LX9 Micro Board.I want to implement RS 422 Protocol in it.i.e it has to take inputs from rs 422 transceiver and has to process it and have to show the data in uart.same procedure for transmitting too.How can it be achievable/

RS-422 isn't a communications protocol. It simply describes a differential signaling interface.

NB that RS-422 allows for a 5V swing, which means that it is not compatible with Spartan 6 inputs. You should just use an AM26L32 or whatever to do your conversion to single ended.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

In addition to the 5V differential swing, RS-422 also allows a wide common mode voltage range including a significant swing below ground.  So there is potential to blow out any FPGA with it, even one with 5V tolerant inputs.  While I haven't seen any RS-422 drivers that operate outside the 0 to 5V range, the receivers will work correctly over the entire common mode voltage range and allow for wide differences in ground potential between transmitter and receiver.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted

From one PC i will send the RS 422 data to a RS 422 Transceiver(MAX 3070E), whose output pin will be connected to PMOD of SPartan 6 LX9 Board.FPGA has to display the data on uart terminal.Similarly the data entered on the uart terminal has to be sent to th pmod pin of the board which will be connected to RS 422 Transceiver.Please send me the code for implementing this

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@venkyyadav325 wrote:

From one PC i will send the RS 422 data to a RS 422 Transceiver(MAX 3070E), whose output pin will be connected to PMOD of SPartan 6 LX9 Board.FPGA has to display the data on uart terminal.Similarly the data entered on the uart terminal has to be sent to th pmod pin of the board which will be connected to RS 422 Transceiver.Please send me the code for implementing this

You know, that's an actual design. If you want someone to send you code to implement it, you should send that person some money first.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.